Windows Simple Platformer

cdgamedev

Description:
Its a Simple Platformer (not proper name). You have to run, jump, avoid obstacles and reach doors. This game is predominantly a small project and I dont really intend to go anywhere with it... I mean, if you like it and want me to develop it further then I will. If you have any questions - ask them - if you'd like to see something in the game then tell me - I'll add it! (probably, given I can)

Screenshots:
Screenshot1.png
(Image of the splash screen)

Screenshot2.png
(Image of the Save Files. Only 3 can be created currently)

Screenshot3.png
(These are the Tutorial Levels. There is a total of 6 levels currently. Red signifies they are locked)

Screenshot4.png
(Image of the player in the First Level. This also contains a small snippet of text in order to help the player)

Screenshot5.png
(This shows the player jumping over a spike pit. Again this contains a small snippet of text to help the player)

Downloads:

To Be Added:
  • Spacing between lettering in the Level Browser
  • Bigger text when in game (for tutorial levels)
  • Adding backgrounds
  • Updating physics system
  • Varying jump heights

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
My first impression after reading your post was "Wait, Napstablook started developping games?" :p

Anyway, that aside, some feedback:
  • The text that reads "TUTORIAL" could do with a bit of spacing between letters so they all don't merge together.
  • The tutorial text snippets could be bigger, they're considerably smaller than all other text in the game at the moment, and you don't really use the screen space well when it's that small.
  • I'd recommend making the backgrounds more detailed than just complete plain gray... a few simple patterns or something isn't that hard to draw, and it does wonders for making the backgrounds feel more alive.

cdgamedev

My first impression after reading your post was "Wait, Napstablook started developping games?" :p

Anyway, that aside, some feedback:
  • The text that reads "TUTORIAL" could do with a bit of spacing between letters so they all don't merge together.
  • The tutorial text snippets could be bigger, they're considerably smaller than all other text in the game at the moment, and you don't really use the screen space well when it's that small.
  • I'd recommend making the backgrounds more detailed than just complete plain gray... a few simple patterns or something isn't that hard to draw, and it does wonders for making the backgrounds feel more alive.

Thanks for the feedback Yal! Will be sure to take this on board. Going to do all that now! Again, thanks :)

Last edited:

cdgamedev

The physics are the biggest problem in my opinion. Right now when you jump you move up at a constant speed and then suddenly down a constant speed and it doesn't feel natural and is hard to predict. I recommend watching Shaun Spaldings excellent platformer tutorial series. First video covers a very nice basic physics engine and collision handling.

I'll be sure to have a look at this! Currently the game is pretty shoddily designed and I intend to rewrite all the code because I'm not happy with the way I did certain features etc; they could be a lot more efficiently. But anyway, thanks for the feedback!!

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It's better to learn using a small project than using a big project, so you're doing this the right way :3 (I've had to discard several projects that were mostly finished due to a mix of feature creep* and things breaking when I tried fixing bugs in them because they were done so poorly to begin with)

I also strongly recommend switching to GML code instead of drag-and-drop as soon as possible; the drag-and-drop doesn't really add much abstraction that makes it easier to design your object behavior, and less than 10% of the code functions are accessible as D&D blocks... so sticking with it will limit you. Not to mention code is a lot easier to copy-and-paste, making it easier to discuss it on the forum, and importing between different objects (or even different projects!).

*Feature creep = adding in things you didn't originally plan to have in the game.

cdgamedev

It's better to learn using a small project than using a big project, so you're doing this the right way :3 (I've had to discard several projects that were mostly finished due to a mix of feature creep* and things breaking when I tried fixing bugs in them because they were done so poorly to begin with)

I also strongly recommend switching to GML code instead of drag-and-drop as soon as possible; the drag-and-drop doesn't really add much abstraction that makes it easier to design your object behavior, and less than 10% of the code functions are accessible as D&D blocks... so sticking with it will limit you. Not to mention code is a lot easier to copy-and-paste, making it easier to discuss it on the forum, and importing between different objects (or even different projects!).

*Feature creep = adding in things you didn't originally plan to have in the game.
1. Yay! I'm doing something right haha
2. I do use the code, I jumped in head first to it... Literally taught it to myself too which is pretty cool. I remember going to college for a taster day thing not so long back and they were using GML... The teacher got so pissed off at me because I wasn't using the blocks to do what he was doing haha.

Last edited:
D

Destroy

The teacher got so pissed off at me because I wasn't using the blocks to do what he was doing haha.
You reminded me of my ICT teacher, when he saw my work in Excel:

"I noticed how the output numbers are constants and not mathematical functions! I already thought I'd finally give you a 5 in ICT, but then I noticed there's a 'recalculate' button... You had it written in VBA!"

I'd like to reply with some constructive feedback, but can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned :/ Maybe later!

cdgamedev

You reminded me of my ICT teacher, when he saw my work in Excel:

"I noticed how the output numbers are constants and not mathematical functions! I already thought I'd finally give you a 5 in ICT, but then I noticed there's a 'recalculate' button... You had it written in VBA!"

I'd like to reply with some constructive feedback, but can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned :/ Maybe later!
Ahahaha. We must all have that one teacher. I'll keep working on updates after my 12 hour marathon of Rocket League... I got hooked... Help!

Last edited:
D

Destroy

Ahahaha. We must all have that one teacher. I'll keep working on updates after my 12 hour marathon of Rocket League... I got hooked... Help!
I already have GMS open for 3 hours and haven't written even a single line of code :D

Anyway, thought about another thing - variable jumping... I'm not exactly sure what's the best way of implementing that or whether it is necessary when you have double jump, tho

cdgamedev

I already have GMS open for 3 hours and haven't written even a single line of code :D

Anyway, thought about another thing - variable jumping... I'm not exactly sure what's the best way of implementing that or whether it is necessary when you have double jump, tho

I do that constantly haha! Also, by that do you mean varying jump heights? That's what I'm gathering at the moment...

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I do that constantly haha! Also, by that do you mean varying jump heights? That's what I'm gathering at the moment...
Holding the jump button down makes your jump last longer, releasing it early makes you just do a small hop.

cdgamedev

Holding the jump button down makes your jump last longer, releasing it early makes you just do a small hop.
Ahh right okay. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

Last edited:

cdgamedev