1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Math question

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Halph-Price, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Halph-Price

Halph-Price Member

Any tip or tutorials for doing exp/log.

I get the programming but it's been a while since I did math.

example: To make alpha fade away on smoke, there's linear way of just "image_alpha-=.01"

but to make it fade away in the same time, but quickly in the start and then slower towards the end, or vice versa, what's the particular formula for something like that.

I've been messing around but I can't seem to really notice the differences, and I am not sure what I am doing.

I am sure there's someone here that knows math. I could figure out the answers to problems, but I don't even know how to write the problem from scratch.

2. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

Have a variable t vary linearly in the [0, 1] range, then use any fast-start-slow-end function to set image_alpha, e.g. sqrt(t) or sin(t*pi/2).

Help yourself and study up on Robert Penner's tweening equations.

3. Halph-Price

Halph-Price Member

That's exactly what I wanted. It's not like it's an easily googleable question. Thanks for the tip using sqrt(t) or sin(t*pi/2) I wouldn't even think of it. That's great.

That's a great link.