1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Simons Curse, Simons quest designed in modern metroidvania style

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Metzger, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Metzger

Metzger Member

Hiya!

I have been making Simon's quest remake for 6 years now, progress has been slow due to work, school, life, etc, etc.

The game fixes all of the problems that I could think of from the original Simon's Quest
    along with additional features, bosses etc etc... And improved graphics made by me using the original style art as a base. It also makes the game more modern metroidvania like, adding things that you are used to form those games.

I will also keep updating this first post as things advance... updated 3.6.2019

Whats ready?
    Well the full engine is done everything works as it should, items, physics, enemy ai, movement, etc.
    Whats not ready?
    Prolly about 50% of location graphics, little less than half of the enemies and some minor things.

Thou now I'm some what ready to show what I have done and also because I think I need help with this game if I ever want to get this finished. I need some one ( or a few ) who can make music and castlevania style pixel art. I think this is the right place to ask for such help. Cant give you any money or anything thou as I'm poor, thou if your works ends up in the game I will give you credit in game.

More info about the game:
    - Old things generally hated that were removed or changed: Oaks stake and its function, dying in water in cities, obscure npc's, you don't lose all hearts/gold by dying, hearts and gold are separate,
    no need for nintendo power anymore, no long waits during day/night cycles, text flows faster in text boxes, exp no longer locked to heart containers, etc stuff I forgot
    - Full controller support
    - Keyboard support and remap
    - Slopes
    - Options
    - Jump through platforms
    - Whip changing
    - Armor changing
    - More bosses
    - More items
    - More enemies
    - Changeable whips
    - You can use items and attack while on stairs, you also wont fall if hit on the stairs
    - Save locations in churches like in other metroidvanias
    - 8-bit style graphics but with more color, early pc style
    - New Visual effects
    - Now with menu pausing
    - Garlic is more useful now
    - Music by Optomon
    - Lots of things I don't remember

My first attempt at making a video of my game and turning it into a gif, it's buggy and has low fps but i hope you like it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But hey here is some screenshots not too many so I wont spoil everything... Also those are test screenshots so I'm cheating.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Things I might add if I have the time:
    - NG+
    - More playable characters

Few questions I would like you all to answer =)
    Your answer might affects how things work in game.
    Also please give a reason for your choices not just yes or no.

1. Would you like enemies to spill blood if hit? ( if the enemy is the type that does drop blood )
    2. Metroidvanias often limit heart max, would you like to see heart max locked to level in Simon's curse? ( so you don't farm 500 hearts for every boss. Remember gold and hearts are different, buy with gold. )
    3. Would you like to see armor items in game? ( old one had resistance that increased by level )
    4. Would you like Simon's curse to have very hard to know secrets/easter egg items or/and places? ( Well you know how these things work )
    5. Game better very hard or just normal difficulty? (I'm not adding difficulty slider, harder new game+ MAYBE)
    6. Thing you would like to see in this game? ( items, enemies, bosses, places, characters, etc)
    7. Would you like there to be rare hp potions that cant be bought only found in secret places max 3 carry? ( how much they would heal? I dunno that has to be balanced, currently thinking 30%-50% hp )

Thanks for answering =)

What kind of help is needed:
    Spriting
    - I would like to get more varied npc characters, blacksmiths, beggars, etc
    - Enemy recolor + alterations or completely custom
    - Decoration and background images/sprites/tiles

So if you are interested in helping me with graphics and music I will gladly accept, thou I must warn you I don't accept just anything in to the game.
    Also if you have any questions suggestions or anything feel free to comment =)

Thanks for reading!

This is a direct copy of what I posted in Castlevania forums.
    Also if someone has some neat heat distortion or other effects they have made and wish to share freely I can credit for those.

Red Phantom, Roa, Joe Ellis and 4 others like this.
  2. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

looks excellent OP.

But 6 years? Wow. You have a lot of dedication! :)

Regarding graphics, I'd like to point out two somewhat minor things:

1. The first screen has a very different look to it, as in, it has that classic NES feel. Maybe its the black shading and outline for the background mountains and the brick tileset. You don't seem be following that design language in other areas.

2. IMO you seem to have 3-4 different visual styles for the trees.
    tree.png

#1 has smooth shading for the trunk and a hand-drawn feel for the leaves.
    #2 has hard shading for the trunk and a tiles for leaves.
    #3 has the leaves from #2 but a trunk thats shaded differently
    #4 has hand-drawn look for the leaves but a trunk that's close to #2 but lacks black.

If I were you, I'd use the same drawing style for each type of tree.

For your questions, IDK really. If you're going to make it difficult, just make sure you have plenty of save points and health items.

Anyway, your project looks excellent. Keep us updated!

sitebender and Red Phantom like this.
  3. Toque

Toque Member

Hey pretty cool.

Red Phantom likes this.
  4. Metzger

Metzger Member

pixeltroid, yeah I'm not a real graphical artist. So I'm just mainly taking in ideas that I google and drawing them.
    But yes the swamp tree leaves have been a pain for some time. That screenshot is old and those leaves have been modified but they still don't look good =/
    I'll make prolly remake them as droopy viny leaves going down.

But in the third image (the death screen) those tree trunks are original nes simons quest game graphics that have only been altered and will be replaced.
    All but the intro screen trees will be more like those in images (in your pic) 2 and 4.
    Also this game has looked very different in stages along development and at first i kinda disliked going the nes black way but later decided to embrace it.
    So now I still got a lot of areas to rework, as the game engine is done but graphics aren't.

This is what the game looked long time ago, a total miss match of everything:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice, I'm not a graphics designer so I appreciate all tips regarding visual outlook of the game. =)

sitebender likes this.
  5. Metzger

Metzger Member

The game is still being made I got the intro done its semi long for indie.
    Here is one intro image unanimated and missing parts but just to show something.
    I don't post much but I'm going to make a short video of this at some point.
    [​IMG]

sitebender likes this.