Steam Sigil of the Magi (Out now on Steam early access!) Turn-based tactics + Roguelike deckbuilding

Yong

Hello everyone, I'm currently making a game titled Sigil of the Magi. It combines roguelike deck-building with turn-based tactics combat.
The deckbuilding aspect is obviously inspired by Slay the Spire while the turn-based tactics side has a multitude of influences from years of playing tactics games, from the old-school (Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre) to the more recent (Into the Breach, Banner Saga)

Out on Steam early access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1781960/Sigil_of_the_Magi/

You control a party of three champions and traverse through procedurally generated maps, encountering battles and events along the way. Every encounter offers an opportunity to build up your deck of cards - which are essentially skills unique to each champion. Every champion has their own unique pool of cards and can only play a card that is theirs. By working together a party can pull off powerful combos that would not have been possible to achieve with just one champion.

There is also a card storage system during battle. Storing your cards on the card rack reserves them for use on future turns. I intend for this as a way to mitigate bad RNG when you're dealt a terrible hand. Plan ahead to weasel out of tricky situations.

The game is very much still under development so everything you see is potentially subject to change. Try out the demo on Steam and wishlist it if you like what you see :)

You can also find me on -
Discord
Twitter
Instagram

Last edited:

Yong

@pixeltroid Thank you! The UI and icons will most likely be reworked in the future though.

@gnysek Wow, good eye! I used Wargroove as a reference for the units' proportion. Honestly surprised you could tell.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

sigil.png

Took me few runs to really understand mechanics. It was pretty fun.
Very clear UI made planning moves easy. Maybe status effects could be shown little bit clearer on characters. Few times i had bleed status and i didnt notice it.
I got absolutely destroyed by bickering siblings when i didnt read their passive :D
Managed to beat some of the bosses, but difference between bosses seemed huge. That bandit chief was ridiculous with his constant summons.

binarypearl

One bug I found on a dual monitor setup:
Upon launch it's in a window on one monitor (good). If I check Fullscreen it goes to Fullscreen on 1 monitor correctly. But when I uncheck Fullscreen, it then flashes a lot and expands the game window over both monitors. If one gets into that situation, a simple close and relaunch of the game will put it back to one monitor.

Last edited:
G

GhostLack

Here is some data for you!
Good game. It was my first time playing such a game and after pondering my experience for a while, I am now of the opinion that card-based RPGs are something I like. Thank you.

Yong

@Yrbiax Thanks for playing! :D yeah, some things could certainly be clearer, still working on visual improvements. I agree with you about the bosses, the bandit chief seems a step above the others. I've already nerfed him a little in the latest update though so hopefully that will balance him out a little, but I'll probably have to make even more changes.

@Xer0botXer0 I've thought about speech bubbles stuff, but that's not a priority so it will probably be one of the last things to add.

@binarypearl I've been trying to figure this one out too, couldn't find any documentation regarding dual/multiple monitors. So it happened when you unchecked fullscreen huh, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the bug report!

@GhostLack Thank you! :)

Silb

Overall it's very good :) I usually don't play roguelike games, so I can't offer much help when it comes to game design. Something you could add though is an undo button for movement, I misclicked a few times and paid dearly for it :D

Stra

One critique that comes to mind: I'd love there to be more/better art on the cards, maybe just some decorative elements so that they don't appear so flat.

Otherwise, love it!

Yong

One critique that comes to mind: I'd love there to be more/better art on the cards, maybe just some decorative elements so that they don't appear so flat.

Otherwise, love it!
Thanks! Yes, I can agree with that. I'm actually already working on new art for the cards so what you see here are mostly temporary stand-ins.

Yong

NEW DEMO release on Steam!

The game has had a major update. There are key changes to the fundamental gameplay of the game. For instance, your units can now move freely (move a tile, stop, and move again) so long as their movement range has not been completely depleted (total of 3 tiles). Previously you could only move them once a turn no matter the distance travelled.

Another major addition are environmental effects. There are now environmental elements on the battlefield that can have a big impact on your battles if you utilize them well.

The bush for instance will grant 4 armor to any unit occupying its tile at the end of turn. The puddle meanwhile, will inflict the VULNERABLE status effect upon any unit that lands on its tile, so be careful! Or you could just lure an enemy to it and take advantage of its effect.

Try out the new demo and let me know what you think!

Yong

Just released yet another major update for Steam's Nextfest!

Changes:
- The 2nd map is now available to explore. With novel enemies sporting powerful abilities, this world will force you to adapt and try out new tactics you hadn’t considered before.

- After all the feedback I've received thus far, I've decided to change the starting deck. All Champions now start with one new card that lean into their individual strengths. Hopefully this will make the champions stand apart from one another right from the get-go.

- Finally, I've implemented boons to add variety to each run and spice things up.

Try out the demo on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1781960/Sigil_of_the_Magi/

Yong

Made some significant changes to the demo.
Card art has been completely revamped. Some of the cards have also been tweaked to make them more interesting from a gameplay perspective (particularly their upgraded versions).

Enemies now have a randomized priority target system that changes every turn (they will prioritize attacking your units from 1-3).
The changes made to the enemy AI is to bring the game closer to something like Into The Breach (which has been a huge source of inspiration), where you have complete information about the enemies and can plan around them to execute your own strategy.

Try out the demo on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1781960/Sigil_of_the_Magi/

Yong

Sigil of the Magi is now out on Steam early access! woo!
Though honestly the work is just beginning :eek:

Launch trailer: