*Sigh* Lan... Where do I start!?

I

IndieCrypt

Hello,

as the title suggests I am trying to find out how Lan works, all I want is to make a simple top down game where everyone just walks around (Just to begin with). If anyone can link me to a from the ground-up tutorial on Lan games in Game Maker that will be great! (I have tried the demo in Game Maker but it does not work)

jo-thijs

You made me find bug in GM, can you verify this also happens when try it?
Put this in the create event of an empty object, placed in an otherwise empty room in an otherwise empty project:
Code:
playAs = "Link";
global.mode = playAs != "Link";
show_message(global.mode);
show_message(30-14*global.mode);
Does it show the messages 0 and 1?

Now, I was going to send you an old engine of mine that worked pretty well on LAN (fixing some obsolete stuff, I stumbled upon that bug),
but I still have some work to do with that.

I would like to ask though, when you say the demo didn't work, do you mean 2 players on the LAN can't find each other?
Could this perhaps be a firewall issue or something like that?
Because the demo works fine for me on LAN.

As for tutorials, you can take a look at the links here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/comments/2cp53y/gamemakerstudio_multiplayer_onlinelan_help/

EDIT: Got my engine working, but it is undocumented and formatted quite dense,
so I don't know if you'd actually be able to do anything with it.

Last edited:
I

IndieCrypt

You made me find bug in GM, can you verify this also happens when try it?
Put this in the create event of an empty object, placed in an otherwise empty room in an otherwise empty project:
Code:
playAs = "Link";
global.mode = playAs != "Link";
show_message(global.mode);
show_message(30-14*global.mode);
Does it show the messages 0 and 1?

Now, I was going to send you an old engine of mine that worked pretty well on LAN (fixing some obsolete stuff, I stumbled upon that bug),
but I still have some work to do with that.

I would like to ask though, when you say the demo didn't work, do you mean 2 players on the LAN can't find each other?
Could this perhaps be a firewall issue or something like that?
Because the demo works fine for me on LAN.

As for tutorials, you can take a look at the links here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/comments/2cp53y/gamemakerstudio_multiplayer_onlinelan_help/

EDIT: Got my engine working, but it is undocumented and formatted quite dense,
so I don't know if you'd actually be able to do anything with it.
Thank you for the Tutorial! Also what I mean by it does not work is even if my friend opens it, he can see my server I created on his own computer but when he joins it, it pops up with a firewall message asking if we want to allow this program and through what kind of network... We both allow it but then it just freezes forever...

jo-thijs

Hm, so it's not really a GameMaker issue, but a firewall issue instead?
I don't know a lot about firewalls, but I wonder:
- Which side freezes? The server or the client or both?
- What firewall(s) do you use?
- What things do you do to allow it?
- Is the game you open the same exe as the one your friend opens?

I

IndieCrypt

Hm, so it's not really a GameMaker issue, but a firewall issue instead?
I don't know a lot about firewalls, but I wonder:
- Which side freezes? The server or the client or both?
- What firewall(s) do you use?
- What things do you do to allow it?
- Is the game you open the same exe as the one your friend opens?
-Which side freezes? The server, the client or both?
The client...

-What firewalls do you use?
Windows Firewall

-What things do you do to allow it?
Well firewall asks if it should trust this program when my friend tries to connect to my server and either me or him click allow and only have private networks ticked...

-Is the game you open the same exe as the one your friend opens?
Yes... Could this be the problem!? Because I can open two on my own computer and have then working fine but do I need to make my own Server.exe along with a Client.exe!?

jo-thijs

No, having the same exe is how I always do it.
Could you perhaps put a bunch of show_message(...) in the create event of oClient to try and find out which specific part freezes?
Is it the network_connect?
That function can take long.

I

IndieCrypt

No, having the same exe is how I always do it.
Could you perhaps put a bunch of show_message(...) in the create event of oClient to try and find out which specific part freezes?
Is it the network_connect?
That function can take long.
Honestly I think I took a dive into the deep end... I have not got an actual normal game complete yet and I think if I try to begin working on something I cannot understand will just be too hard for me... I will be coming back with the same question in the future but I will be much more understanding and have a good understanding of advanced GML... Sorry to waste your time with this!