• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Show/hide objects according to depth OR assign objects to different layers...?

C

Campana

This is an archaeology game where the player is presented with a grid of 64x64 objects. Destroying one of these objects reveals the object beneath it.

Ideally each grid will be stacked approximately 5 objects deep. However, this quickly becomes unmanageable as there is no 'layer' function for objects. Is there a way to show/hide objects according to depth when creating rooms?

Or, failing that, can I set up multiple tile layers in a room where each tile layer has a series of objects assigned to it?

I'm currently using the free version of GameMaker.

C

Campana

Actually I suppose I could just cause a new item to be created under the old one as soon as the old one is destroyed.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you just need to be able to check out a particular instance, you could always bring up the list of all instances in the room.
upload_2016-8-19_17-19-0.png

C

Campana

If you just need to be able to check out a particular instance, you could always bring up the list of all instances in the room.
That would probably help - thanks for taking the time to create a screenshot :)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I think a better approach would be managing just the bottom layer in the room editor, then adding the soil on top at runtime. It's especially useful if the same layering pattern is duplicated across levels.

C

Campana

I think a better approach would be managing just the bottom layer in the room editor, then adding the soil on top at runtime. It's especially useful if the same layering pattern is duplicated across levels.
Ah, I never thought of that. Thanks :)