• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

(Shoveld) can I use 3d in 2d?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
What I mean is, can I have a sprite or something on a surface drawn using 3d (camera matrixes)
and have that drawn on top of the room which is being drawn normally (2D)?

L

Lonewolff

Yep, certainly can.

Easy way, using the Draw GUI event.

But if you need it in the scene itself, use the matrix functions to scale and position.

Quick tip. Scale the sprite down so you can initially see it, otherwise it will be massive in comparison. In 3D space you might have a 1x1x1 cube model as an example. If you try to draw a sprite, it might have dimensions of 128px x 128px. That same 128px is its size in 3D space. When you compare that to your model, it's massive! So first thing you want to do is scale it down to be proportionate in the 3D world.

Just thought I'd mention that, because the first time you try it you might just get a mass off blurry pixels in your face when you draw the sprite. If you do, then that's a good thing, you are on the right track, just gotta then scale it down. :)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Yep, certainly can.

Easy way, using the Draw GUI event.

But if you need it in the scene itself, use the matrix functions to scale and position.

Quick tip. Scale the sprite down so you can initially see it, otherwise it will be massive in comparison. In 3D space you might have a 1x1x1 cube model as an example. If you try to draw a sprite, it might have dimensions of 128px x 128px. That same 128px is its size in 3D space. When you compare that to your model, it's massive! So first thing you want to do is scale it down to be proportionate in the 3D world.

Just thought I'd mention that, because the first time you try it you might just get a mass off blurry pixels in your face when you draw the sprite. If you do, then that's a good thing, you are on the right track, just gotta then scale it down. :)
so like I could start a new project, change nothing to the room, but have a object in that room that draws itself in 3d, nothing else just itself?

L

Lonewolff

No worries. Hit me up if you need anything.

I'm away this weekend and no access to a PC, but help where I can :)