Game Mechanics Should Indie Game Developers Make Games That Just Aren’t Similar to Pokémon?

It seems like some Indie game developers like to make their games similar to Pokémon. And, some like Megaman. Do you think they should make some Indie games that are similar to Megaman Battle Network, Megaman Star Force, Super Mario, or Final Fantasy? Pokémon isn’t the only good RPG series to make Indie games out of? Make Indie games that are similar to other RPG game series like Castlevania, etc.

D

Deleted member 13992

I'm not sure I understand. Devs should make whatever vision they have, whatever speaks to them.

Pokémon isn’t the only good RPG series to make Indie games out of? Make Indie games that are similar to other RPG game series like Castlevania, etc.
Most RPG games aren't Pokémon. And Castlevania isn't really an RPG?

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Indie developers can and should make anything they like within the bounds of copyright law and their own capabilities. That's what makes them indie.

And by the way, I don't see a "Pokemon fad" problem with most indie developers. It seems to be YOU in particular who has an unhealthy fixation on Pokemon-like designs and getting nothing done:

Well, Castlevania GBA, and DS games are.
Having RPG elements doesn't make a game an RPG. The GBA/DS Castlevania games are, first and foremost, Action-adventure games; with some mild RPG elements thrown in for good measure. This specific blending of systems and the games they inspired are so prolific that there's an entire subgenre named after them: Metroidvania. It's chock full of great and not-so-great games. As @Khao points out, you really don't have to look too hard to stumble into a new indie Metroidvania game. In contrast, Pokemon-style monster collection indie games are few and far in between, even compared to other RPGs. There's 3 dozen Final Fantasy-style RPGs for every Pokemon-style one. As for quality games in the genre? It's tough to find them because RPGs require a ludicrously high time and effort investment compared to every other genre, except maybe strategy and simulation. Everything else is easier to make and takes less time.

Developers should make what they want to make. Nobody likes being told what to do, especially when they don't want to do it.

And I thought the whole point of being an indie is to do whatever game we wanted...
If you don't care about that, better go work for a studio and have a regular salary, vacations, medical insurance and some sort of a social life, really.

And what are those Indie Pokemon-like games, exactly? I know of about 0 indie monster-collecting/fighting games...
(Don't tell me Yo-Kai Watch is an indie title, loll)

And what are those Indie Pokemon-like games, exactly? I know of about 0 indie monster-collecting/fighting games...
(Don't tell me Yo-Kai Watch is an indie title, loll)
Temtem, Coromon (made in GM iirc), Monster Crown, Heartbeat, etc... Some of them aren't really that popular, so you're only going to find them if you look for Pokemon-likes specifically.

The real problem with doing a Pokemon-like is that nobody wants to play them. Casual players just want to play the actual Pokemon. Hardcore Pokemon players who want something less casual will turn to web-based Pokemon battle simulators or more traditional RPGs with a monster mechanic like Shin Megami Tensei or Persona.

Last edited:

otterZ

I only played Super Mario briefly, wasn't for me, I've never played any Pokemon games, but I kind of get where you are coming from - as in whatever channels of game recommendations or friends' recommendations you are getting it maybe seems to be totally focused on one particular area.

Zombie games for me . . . As in a game comes out and then a zombie version gets released, as DLC or god forbid a new game with a price tag.

Fair play to players who relish a zombie version though. It is okay. Easy for the developer and a money spinner - just keep the existing maps and game set up and introduce a bunch of zombie animations bullet ready, zombie fans are happy - all's good :)