• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design should i use gml code or just use the drag and drop

A

Arsenio delacruz

so i am looking in to making my own game, and there are a lot of ideas that i have that i want to do. how ever i am not sure if i should make my own code that way i have full controll of what the code does, or use the drag and drop to help me do what i need to do with out having to spend 3 hours trying to make the code my self.

i know each has there up and downs of course but i am not sure which i should do. any advice would be help full and thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

RangerX

Full control is always better. There's also much more people willing to help you with code than drag and drop on this forum. If you are anywhere being serious about game development, go GML from the start and never look back.

A

Arsenio delacruz

:) ok that is good to know then. well then time to hit the chopping block again and get to it.

HayManMarc

I agree with RangerX. If you're serious about using gamemaker, start learning GML now, because you will likely want to later, anyway.

D

Dantevus

I definitely prefer using code for even the simpler tasks. It makes it easier to understand, in my opinion, and it also makes it easier to modify in the future if (when) you change your mind about how you want something to function. Shaun's vidoes on YouTube can help you learn the majority of what you need.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It takes a while to get into the programmer/coder mindset, but DnD actions basically are a fluffier (in both senses of the word) way to represent single lines of code. Once you're comfortable thinking with DnD actions, you can transition over to code without much effort. Code is faster to edit, offers a better overview of complicated stuff since you can see all values and stuff in a single window, and much easier to copypaste between objects, between projects, and for the forums. You definitely need to switch to code at some point, and the benefits outweights the extra work tenfold.