• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Shootout game in development

M

MameGaker

Hi,

It's been a dream of mine to get this game made and I'm at the point now where its almost there but need help with improving my programming. if anyone can take a look at the code and advise on how I can clean it up or if there's any way to do it better I'd appreciate the advice.

currently there's no winstate and no AI. I also know there are a few glitches, and the artwork is place holder but I'm looking more at help with how to handle the game mechanics better, I need an objective viewpoint and someone who has more knowledge of gamemaker programming to take a look at it.

Here's a preview:

Here's a demo:
http://www.filedropper.com/shootout

Left player's keys:
A: go to cover
S: reload in cover
D: uncover/fire

Right player's keys:
left: go to cover
down: reload in cover
right: uncover/fire

space: resets game

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gamedev4life

the gun in the gif and screenshot the gunmen have what looks like an israeli tavor. but in the screenshot where it shows the weapons and ammo in the inventory its clearly an m4. whats up w that, placeholder for now? otherwise seems like an easy fix: just replace the m4 in the inventory with a tavor rifle.

all in all, cool stuff!

M

MameGaker

the gun in the gif and screenshot the gunmen have what looks like an israeli tavor. but in the screenshot where it shows the weapons and ammo in the inventory its clearly an m4. whats up w that, placeholder for now? otherwise seems like an easy fix: just replace the m4 in the inventory with a tavor rifle.

all in all, cool stuff!
Hey thanks for the feedback yeah they are all place holder, you're right actually the gun when he points it up is the major's from ghost in the Shell then it kinda turns into a tavor. In future I plan to have a variety of weapons but for now working on the engine. Did you manage to look at the code?

Ralucipe

I kinda like this game concept. But I haven't had a second player to play against so I'm not entirely sure how well it would really work.

I think it could use another layer of depth; right now it seems like games between two decent players would be reduced to essentially no damage being taken. Have you though about implementing an additional mechanic of some sort that would essentially prevent you from being invincible behind your wall (say, perhaps, a grenade?) That way, you'd have to more strategically time your reloads.

M

MameGaker

I kinda like this game concept. But I haven't had a second player to play against so I'm not entirely sure how well it would really work.

I think it could use another layer of depth; right now it seems like games between two decent players would be reduced to essentially no damage being taken. Have you though about implementing an additional mechanic of some sort that would essentially prevent you from being invincible behind your wall (say, perhaps, a grenade?) That way, you'd have to more strategically time your reloads.
Thanks for your feedback, yeah like I said the game is basic right now I plan to add stuff like grenades and different strategies to attack the player behind the cover. I'm focused on getting a solid engine in place before I add these features. Additionaly I'd add more cover options and a chance to move forward when you've defeated and enemy.

M

MameGaker

That character animation looks really great.
Cheers, yeah it's taken me a long time to get them right, but I did it thw hard way by hand. I hope to try making 3d meshes then using that as a reference for the pixel art. Or maybe use spine or another rigging software to cut down on the time it takes to animate

G

gamedev4life

Cheers, yeah it's taken me a long time to get them right, but I did it thw hard way by hand. I hope to try making 3d meshes then using that as a reference for the pixel art. Or maybe use spine or another rigging software to cut down on the time it takes to animate
if you need reference for 2d animation (pixel or otherwise), i recommend just recording yourself doing the movements you want then putting the video in your computer and slowing down the video and screen grabbing the key frames etc. thats what i do sometimes when i need a reference. it would be faster than doing the 3d thing

M

MameGaker

if you need reference for 2d animation (pixel or otherwise), i recommend just recording yourself doing the movements you want then putting the video in your computer and slowing down the video and screen grabbing the key frames etc. thats what i do sometimes when i need a reference. it would be faster than doing the 3d thing
Thanks, yeah I've done this. It's how I did the animations. using a 3d mesh means I can quickly add features and gear to the player without having to redraw anything.

M

Misty

The 3d method is faster, it is what they did in Donkey Kong. Alls you do is move the bone and take a screenshot from a side view. But doing it by purely 3d reference is slower.