• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows shifting game projects to another computer

jermaine

hi i know this isn't really a tech problem in gamemaker studio but i thought this was the best place to ask.
im changing computers and well i wanna shift my projects to this gamemaker studio too ofcourse.
i jus wanna ask if theres anything i should look out for that would potentially ruin my game files or anything.
and i have noticed that there are two types of files for projects like .yyp and the other one which i forgot.
i know there is some difference in the two of them jus i don know what.
and i have shift my projects once and it turned out disastrous. all my projects were completely gone. i think i shifted the wrong files or something im not really sure.
but when i shift them over everything inside was gone and i think the file was corrupted or something. luckily i had only started on that game for not a very long time.
and jus to make sure too if i changed to a newer version midway. like my old computer has an older version while my new one has a newer version. that won't really change anything right.

There isn't anything particularly special about the files that tie them to any specific PC. Just copy the project folders over in their entirety and you'll be fine.

chirpy

The best way to avoid ruining your project is to always use a version control system. You'd want to take a look at "git" and "bitbucket".
If that isn't an option at the moment, at least back up the entire project to an external drive.
Copy the whole folder, or you can go to "File-Export Project" to make a .yyz file.
For smaller projects, dropbox/google drive might as well work, where you can upload the .yyz file to import from a new location.

You can easily test these solutions on your old computer; make sure it fully works and you understand how it works, before shifting to a new computer.

chamaeleon

Going the yyz export route, or using source control (which you should anyway...) would help with ensuring proper line endings in text files if you're moving between different platforms (Windows->Mac, Mac->Windows, etc.) Copying the project directory directly (or as a zip file) may introduce strange behavior. Mind you, I haven't tested what will happen, but I would not make the assumption that all will be well.