Alpha Shattered Realms

P

pieterator

Shattered Realms is a Combo Sandbox 2D Side Scrolling Beat 'em Up with Fighting Game Mechanics.

You can download a very, very early build of Shattered Realms on itch.io. However we are currently going through a major upgrade of all the graphics and combat mechanics.

The project started out as an experiment on combining two genres I really enjoy, brawlers and fighting games. I wanted the freedom to express myself though combos, but in a more sandboxed environment. So taking something like Guilty Gear and combining it with Dragon's Crown.

We've gotten a lot of really great feedback from the fighting game community, both locally and internationally, and we're considering all suggestions as we're iterating. We're constantly looking for fresh eyes on the project (as working this closely with a project tends to give tunnel vision) so we would love to hear from you guys if you have any suggestions or comments. We love GameMaker Studio 2, and believe only our imaginations limit what we can create with it.

We are currently a team of one programmer, myself, four massively talented artists, Dawid Strauss, Malcolm Wope, Dorianne Dutrieux and Ben Geldenhuys, and our resident badass musician, Deon van Heerden.

If you are getting a "d3dcompiler" error, chances are it will be fixed by just downloading and installing the latest DirectX End-User Runtimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pieterator

@lolslayer, @ReidDC, @DividingByZero thank you for all the kind words. We'll do our best to make the graphics as awesome as possible.

Been spending about a week or so working on the "Shattered Realms" effect. We wanted to have this shattered/distorted glass effect when two realms (stages) were merging together.
Using Layers, Surfaces, Vertex Formats & Buffers, Shaders and many, many Grids, we finally got the effect we were looking for :D

P

pieterator

Adding to Lynx's moveset so she can do more awesome combos.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This looks really nice, definitely way above average when it comes to GM games! The use of color especially is really nice, most people just stick with warm colors or pure black and white instead of experimenting with the vibrant side of the cool spectrum~

P

pieterator

@Yal You have a keen eye for color :D The art team put a lot of effort in choosing the color pallet, making sure the characters, enemies and backgrounds read well against each other.

@JackTurbo @John Andrews @studioWHITEROCK @shio Glad you guys like where we're going with the game. The shattered glass effect was really fun to do, and we've got some fun ideas for hiding secrets behind it ;)

Reactions: Glo
D

DaMuffin

Beat 'em Up with Fighting Game Mechanics
Say no more, you got me already.

I remember you guys released something like a concept demo a long time ago. It was really fun and I can see there's been a lot of progress made from then. These new graphics look amazing! Great work and best of luck!

P

pieterator

Some more combo-ing :)

E

el_Dife

Tried the alpha, crashed at start:

############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Async Event: System Event
for object Controller_Manager:

ds_map_set argument 1 incorrect type (5) expecting a Number (YYGI32)
at gml_Object_Controller_Manager_Other_75
############################################################################################

P

pieterator

@el_Dife This happened in the old version of the game if you plugged anything into or out of your PC while the game is running (USB, some controllers, HDMI). The problem was that GameMaker Studio 1.4 was picking up devices that weren't controllers, but treating them like they were controllers in the Async Event.

We have since fixed the problem, but haven't updated our itch.io page yet.

Just have things plugged in before you launch the game :) If the problem persists, please let me know.

Jeremy

This looks awesome!
I love the art, and I'm just amazed at that distorted glass effect!
That training stage reminds me very much of street fighter, which is one of my favorite games.

darkfalzx

This looks absolutely ridiculous... holy crap! SO MUCH ART! Gorgeous, gorgeous art!
Best of luck in finishing this - I'll be sure to closely follow this project.

K

Kat Serapha

Look really good. That shatter effect you show up in that gif is awesome. I also love the logo you've got for it - very striking. Would definitely take a look at if it was released in full.

P

pieterator

@Smw Thanks :D

@darkfalzx Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm in constant awe of what our art team produces. Very talented group of people!

@Jeremy The training stage was directly inspired from Street Fighter :D

@Kat Serapha I still need to write a tutorial about how I did that glass effect, learned some very interesting things while making it.

@Niels Thank you so much :)

P

pieterator

We're currently working on implementing the first boss, Juggernaut.

Below is the first sprite for the idle animation.

Juggernaut Concept Art

Niels

damn your artist is talented!

Only 1 thing:

The logo/title feels a bit "NBA Street/90's hiphop" too me, but that might be my perception;)

P

pieterator

We've actually got a new logo design :D
Still need to update it everywhere, but here's what it looks like.

Reactions: Yal
E

el_Dife

@el_Dife This happened in the old version of the game if you plugged anything into or out of your PC while the game is running (USB, some controllers, HDMI). The problem was that GameMaker Studio 1.4 was picking up devices that weren't controllers, but treating them like they were controllers in the Async Event.

We have since fixed the problem, but haven't updated our itch.io page yet.

Just have things plugged in before you launch the game :) If the problem persists, please let me know.
I'm a bit late, sorry for that.

I tried with the controller plugged in (a generic one, found in slot 5 by game maker) and the problem persists, it does the same if I put it after running the game. If I remove it all work well.
Congrats anyways, the game looks beautiful!

Just watched the trailer, keeps looking better and better! Any chance of release on consoles in the future? This is the type of indie game I could get behind on consoles.

Last edited:
Looks amazing, the quality of everything is top notch - it is like something I'd expect in the arcade from the big names.

I will be curious to see what you can add to break up the action, though. As good as the brawling looks, just endless brawling can get tiresome after awhile. Minigames (like Golden Axe campfire) or action changes like Battletoads (rope stages, turbo tunnels, etc...) can be relatively simple but add some diversity to the fun.

Dude, whoever said this is just "a way beyond average game maker game" needs to re-evaluate their statements. This is beyond professional. Everything here is fantastic. The mechanics and art are so fricking smooth I dont even know where to begin. I want my combos in my game to shadow this. And its in the early stages! keep trucking with your team dude, we need more games like this. Its impressive af what you and your team have accomplished

P

pieterator

Thanks so much @SamuraiSnowman for the kind words, we've been pushing ourselves to create something new and unique within a genre that's not been receiving a lot of love in recent years. Brawlers are risky, but we've got to do what we love :D

Also, if you want to chat combat mechanics and implementation, I'm always keen to share what I've learned.

sylvain_l

tested and approved !
very satisfying to watch the combo counter going to the roof :D

p.s.
was very impressed by the shaterred effect gif, but in game it feel much more subttle or blured (of course the slow motion in the gif make all the difference I assume ;) )

P

pieterator

@sylvain_l Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

The shattered effect is visually influenced by the two backgrounds being used and also how big the transition area is. I use a black and white mask surface (similar to what Photoshop would use) with white being background 1, and black background 2. The smoother (and also bigger) the gradient between black and white regions are, the smoother the effect transition. Backgrounds with similar brightness also seem to look better, since you can more easily identify them in a single glass shard. In game, the two backgrounds being used differ quite a bit in terms of brightness, which is why I think the darker background takes a bit of a back seat in the transition.

Thanks for the keen observation, will keep it in mind when we tweak the background brightness.

D

DM1991

It is evident that there is a plethora of artistic, programmatic, and directorial talent going into this game.

P

pieterator

Thanks so much @xfrijolx :)
We recently added a test version of our grappler character Mark. Here is some gameplay footage of him in action.

Go to our Itch page at https://kopskop.itch.io/shattered-realms and pick the "shattered-realms-win-dev.zip" file in order to play with him. Note that only the Angel Sponsor does anything in this version of the game.

Currently working on adding in all the upgrade and unlock systems. So a whole lot of coding, and not much visual progress :D