• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Sharp Images

A

Aaron McDonald

Hi all,
this is just a general question about how to format things so I have sharp images. How do I get my sprite images to coincide well with the view settings? Here's a contrast between the player's head in flash, and then the the same image in play mode in Game Maker. I would prefer it if the image didn't come out all pixilated. What should I do?

Game Maker
upload_2016-9-28_14-8-13.png

Flash
upload_2016-9-28_14-8-47.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerX

First of all, disable the interpolation of colors. There's checkbox you can tick out in the global settings for your target (graphic tab).
Then make sure the sprite in game is big enough to retain all the details. If you have some 128x128 face but you suddendly have it a sprite that it 48x48 in GameMaker, of course you will lose detail.

Reactions: Yal

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Also make sure you're importing your sprite as a SWF and not as a rasterized rendering. If you haven't already, check the manual page Importing Vector Images. In particular,
"GameMaker: Studio uses the stage size of the SWF as the bounds of the resulting sprite. However, if you have anything on the stage outside these bounds it is still drawn. This means that you should either try to avoid putting anything outside your stage bounds if you don't want it to be shown, or use a mask layer to limit drawing to this area."

So in other words, if that size is smaller than you intend the character to be in game, the sprite will be downscaled.