• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Share you childhood fears

D

Dr Sunnyside

In this thread we share childhood fears, compare boogeymen and things from movies and other stuff that hid in our cupboard or under our beds!

I was terrified of the scissorman/the tailor from Struwwelpeter, who cuts of the fingers of thumb-sucking children when I was a kid. He arrives instantly without a warning and never says a word, disappearing just as quickly when his horrible deed is done. Just look at that illustration and those spindly limbs! So we get disproportionate retribution, uncanny valley and jump scares to form one "neat" child-scaring package.

Lukasmah

Small, venomous, nocturnal land crocodiles. I don't know where I got that idea from or why I thought they were a thing, but yeah...

C

crumblewolf

I was scared of eating a grape to find half a spider inside it. Got that fear from a news story on TV where someone had accidentally eaten a slide ringside a grape. I still bite grapes in half before eating them to check haha

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
When I was really little, I'd freak out and burst into tears if I bit into a chocolate bar and caramel came out in strings.

G

Galladhan

I was terrified of the scissorman/the tailor from Struwwelpeter
Oh my god! I had totally forgot about the bloody scissorman. I was terrified by him too!

Even more terrified by some Hieronymus Bosch's paintings i found on an art book of my mother. One of them was this one:

bosch-helmeted.jpg

S

StuffandThings85

- When I was 5 years old, I remember laying in bed looking at my closet when I suddenly saw the face of the clown from IT take up my entire closet.

- Sometimes I would wake up from a nightmare, step out of bed and see little ankle-high trolls running around my room. When I looked down the hall to my parents room, I saw two doberman's standing at the foot at my parents bed, looking at me. All I had was a golden retriever.

- I had recurring nightmares of the T-Rex from Jurassic Park chasing me down my street. When I ran into my house and hid in my room, he just tore the roof off and picked me right out. Apparently I was afraid of being eaten by dinosaurs.

But don't worry, I turned out fine.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
I used to be afraid of grapes and watermelons growing inside my stomach if I swallowed their seeds.

D

Dr Sunnyside

When I was little, I was scared of Nocturne, who banhammers those kids who behave naughty.
That does indeed sound terrifying.

Oh my god! I had totally forgot about the bloody scissorman. I was terrified by him too!
The weirdest thing is, I´m 27. Why did the children's section of the nineties have Struwelpeter in it? Guess it was because it was a classic...

Fear of negative gravity...that would cause me to fall off the Earth...

Got that myself after playing Majora´s mask, when you reverse the stone tower temple and Link just falls screaming into the sky...

i was affraid of dying.
I was afraid of turning into a ghost, unable to be seen or interact with anything.

G

Galladhan

The weirdest thing is, I´m 27. Why did the children's section of the nineties have Struwelpeter in it? Guess it was because it was a classic...
Yeh, it's weird. I thought it was a scarecrow for kids of my generation. Maybe someone thought it was "educational". Hey, teacher, leave them kids alone!

Talking about Pink Floyd, when i was a kid i was super-scared by the goose-stepping hammers in the "Another Brick in The Wall" video: