• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Share a scrip with mutible projects

tylerbertz

I have a base script with functions that I use with every project I make.
as I creat diffrent projects I will find way to improve my my old functions or add new ones.
But this means I have to go to every project and update the functions. Is there a way to add a gml scrip by location. Like I have a gml script at C:/gml/scrips. And have gms2 add the scrip to it. And when I compile/test the game, it reads from that scrip. If not is there some way to get a script or code I to each project that will update when changed.

Roldy

I've put in a suggestion (or two) for YoYo to re-organize how assets are laid out in the directory structure. The current pairing of .yy and asset files, and the lack of an actual deep directory structure prohibit VCS like Git or SVN from using externals.

If they changed how assets (scripts particularly) are structured within the project then we could properly implement external library repos linked to project repos. Additionally with a more flexible layout we could even use binary focused VCS (like perforce) along side Git.

For now @Nidoking's Local Asset Package suggestion is probably the best option. You just have to remember to manually merge your changes to shared resources across projects.