Released Shadowforge - Graphics Tool

• Thread starter Deleted member 16767
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16767

Shadowforge is a painting software for individual/multiply images that put their layers in a formation that works well with rocks, grass and things like that. You can import any image to Shadowforge and draw with it. Don't feel much creative and layering stuffs? Let Shadowforge do the job!

Shadowforge is ready for download here if you want to test it out. I'm curious to know what you can make with it.

How it works:

Press Space to add an image.

Press button "S" to save your file to any folder.

Mouse scroll to zoom in or out.

Hold Middle Mouse Button to pan the camera.

Hold Left Mouse button to draw freely.

Press Right Mouse button to stamp.

Press D to activate erase mode, and then D again to go back to draw mode.

When you press button E, you will switch room to a docker that shows all the files you have opened. By right clicking an image file, you can continue drawing with that file like you did before.

Press Z to undo and R to redo.

Hold down Left Mouse Button and Enter to draw your brush stroke with a HSV color, switch color if needed. You can see what color you have picked from the color indicator on the top screen.

Hold down the enter button on the tile text and right mouse button on the canvas to tile horizontally and vertically, and the void will be filled with a horizontally or vertically scaled image of your image. Don't zoom out too far or it will look weird when you do this.

If you press H you flip the image horizontally. If you press ctrl + H you flip it back.

If you press V you flip the image vertically. If you press ctrl + V you flip it back.

These are layers but I call them "depths". The depths are limited in numbers. You change the depth by pressing the left and right arrow keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16767

Edit: Not relevant anymore.

D

Deleted member 16767

Edit: old.

D

Deleted member 16767

Edit: Not relevant anymore.

D

Deleted member 16767

Your first post is lacking some important information. What kind of project are you working in and what are the end goals? Is this a diablo clone, or are you taking this someplace completely different?
Thanks for reminding me to edit the first post because I've changed a lot. I'm not using tilesets any more but sprites.

D

Deleted member 16767

Update:

Added zoom in and out future.
Made it possible to pan the camera with left mouse button.
You can now choose between two tasks, layer seperation mini and layer seperation medium.

What I did with rocks I googled:
screenshotsscreenshot_8.png

D

Deleted member 16767

Some more new stuffs you can make with Shadowforge
screenshotsscreenshot_6.png

D

Deleted member 16767

Alpha v0.6
  • You can now put shadows on your layers. And you can make realistic photos into cel shaded this way too.
  • Now you can open the file directly to the editor, instead of replacing it manually in the folder.
  • You can now decide the position of the image with Left Mouse Button or you can do it with button 1 and 2.
  • When pressing the S button to save, you can save the screenshot to the folder you pick.

I would love to see what you can make with Shadowforge and your feature wishlist for Shadowforge.

D

Deleted member 16767

Alpha v0.7

• Added a dock for saved images.
  • Added undo and redo commands.
  • Sprite blending.
  • Scale, rotate and move.
  • Saving now saves without the menu text.
  • Four canvas presets.
  • Transparent background.

I should probably add drawing freely with whatever file you choose instead of only stamping some time in the future.

D

Deleted member 16767

Made with Shadowforge Alpha v0.7.

Do you want to make that trinket that saves the case in your detective game?

Maybe you want something spooky and really dark? (This kind of texture has been removed from Shadowforge).

Shadowforge works with pixel too. Look at these scales!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I feel like a lot of information is missing in the opening post, like... does it use only built-in images, or can you import anything you want and use that?

Also, the magenta background color just is eye-hurtingly bright. You should probably make a feature that makes it configurable (and maybe a "grid" feature so it's easier to tell what parts are transparent)

D

Deleted member 16767

I feel like a lot of information is missing in the opening post, like... does it use only built-in images, or can you import anything you want and use that?

Also, the magenta background color just is eye-hurtingly bright. You should probably make a feature that makes it configurable (and maybe a "grid" feature so it's easier to tell what parts are transparent)
Hi. Thanks for the feedback. :) I updated the post, but most of the information is on the itch website. You can choose between magenta, white and black background. Noted down grid feature.

Edit: Also noted down configurable background colors.

D

Deleted member 16767

I added in the grid background but configurable background color will have to wait for some time.

D

Deleted member 16767

Release 1.0.
  • Added grid background.
  • You can horizontally and vertically tile sprites together and if you miss a space the sprite will scale to fill that void.
  • Added zoom indicator.
  • Added flipping of images.
  • Added layers/depths.
  • Added color picking.
  • Added color indicator.
  • Added free hand drawing.

D

Deleted member 16767

V1.1a

Fixed a lot of things and removed unneccessary things. It's a QoL improvement, because some stuff were using only one layer and the very much needed erase tool is there now. It doesn't show itself as transparent, which I am hoping to fix in the future.

D

Deleted member 16767

2 months since I posted progress here. I've updated the first post on this topic.

I want to thank @sp202 that I commissioned for the eraser, and he also did more than that without me even asking. He added a surface (which I now know better about). Thanks to @MusNik for his vector drawing extension, which I am learning more about. And props to @Joe Ellis for helping out with fluid brush strokes.

D

Deleted member 16767

Revamped the ds_list system so that it will not overwrite other layers sprites attributes.
Fixed a ton of bugs since the last post update here.
Happy to say but unfortunate for others (specifically games), that the limit of sprites each layer has been "limit broken" or in other fancy words, I "KO'd" the limit guard with my wizardry language. I feared that the limitorona would put an end to this project, but I outsmart it. It still needs some more work done to it, if you're a frequent SF user, you'll probably notice the damage that the limitorona has left behind.

Any feedback is welcome. Any suggestions or ideas, such as a new shader or new brush addition is helpful.

D

Deleted member 16767

Wow, it's been a good whole month for Shadowforge. Been reworking things and working on new things. I've changed and added a lot of things. I don't want to make a huge list of them, try it out if you want to see what a Game Maker made painting software can make.

A major issue I had with the software is now cleansed out of evil spirits, hehe. I made restarting the canvas actually work and not delete your drawing, and you can also erase on it even though it has restarted itself! Restarting the canvas is really important for Shadowforge, for many things, like performance and the 32,000 sprite limit.

I am now working on making watery brushes work.

EDIT: Just got into GMS2 Beta. Wow, what a good timing! Just in place for v. 1.4.0. The sprite limit is no more! Now users do not need to restart the canvas.

D

Deleted member 16767

I will just let the gif animated image speak for the recent updates.

D

Deleted member 16767

Animation is now LIVE!

New Features
Sprite Mask with the square sprite to pick a brush from your canvas or alternatively,
copy the canvas size into a film roll, click on the "E" docker and edit your layer.

C++ compiler is working again.

New Shader
Warm Shader, great for making sunny moods or just making icons darker for highlighting on your website or game.

Social Media
Twitter Integration! Tell everyone that you are drawing live with Shadowforge before you start drawing. Or tell everyone about your workshop when you upload your stuff to it!

Bug Fixes
Canvas width and height interaction fixed.
Removed alpha palette.

D

Deleted member 16767

Wow! Shadowforge has blur mix now? Didn't your friends tell you? No? Then tell your friends!
gfgfgfgfgfg.png