1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow that gets smaller as you jump

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Pkirkby, May 14, 2019 at 1:50 AM.

Tags:
  1. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Hey everyone, I have some code for when my character jumps, and the shadow draws as a different size for each increment of my z-axis (when I jump.) I realize there's certainly an easier way to do this with less code, but I don't know where to start. Any help would be great.

if (zsp = 1)
    {
    draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale/2,image_yscale/2,
    image_angle,c_black,0.5);
    }
    else if (zsp = 2)
    {
    draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale/1.9,image_yscale/1.9,
    }
    else if (zsp = 3)
    {
    draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale/1.8,image_yscale/1.8,
    }
    else if (zsp = 4)
    {
    draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale/1.7,image_yscale/1.7,
    }
    else if (zsp = 5)

etc etc.

2. Timothy

Timothy Member

/(2 - (zsp -1) * 0.1)

3. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Fast reply! Would you mind explaining it a bit? How would I go about putting that code in? Excuse my noobishness.

4. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

I am guessing he means replace the whole block of code with something like this;

Code:
    draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale/(2 - (zsp -1) * 0.1),image_yscale/(2 - (zsp -1) * 0.1),
    No 'if' tests needed.

Also, it is unlikely that the if statements will ever be triggered unless your zsp is exactly the value you want. As soon as your zsp contains a decimal place, your code will fail.

Using the mathematical approach will give smoother scaling as well, rather than sudden changes in scale.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 2:26 AM
    Japster and A Random Creator like this.
  5. A Random Creator

A Random Creator Member

Code:
    draw_sprite_ext(sprite_index,image_index,x,y,image_xscale/(2 - (zsp -1) * 0.1),image_yscale/(2 - (zsp -1) * 0.1),
    Use this, same thing, just took out one of the double / so that it actually functions as intended

The Sorcerer likes this.
  6. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

^Ha! I didn't even notice that. Was a quick copy paste thing. Good pick up. (Fixed it up :))

A Random Creator likes this.
  7. E.M.I

E.M.I Member

Hey there! Just a small question, can the height of the jump change? Because just making it smaller when the Z value rises will make it so the shadow constantly gets smaller if the level goes up. I would personally make different sized sprites, put them into a sheet and make it so playing the jump animation will change the value of a variable that will make it so the shadow plays the animation to get smaller and then bigger. Something like:

(In the create event of the player object)

Code:
    ///@description

is_jumping = 0;
    (In the step event of the player object)

Code:
    ///@description

if (keyboard_check(ord("W)) //Set it to the key you want
    {
    is_jumping = 1;
    //Put your jumping code here
    is_jumping = 0;
    }
    (In step event of the shadow object)

Code:
    ///@description

// To use the is_jumping variable

with obj_player; //replace obj_player by the name of your player object

// To play the animation

if (is_jumping == 1)
    {
       image_index = shadow_animation;
       image_speed = img_spd; //Set it to whatever you want
    }

else
    {
       image_index = shadow_idle;
       image_speed = 0;
    }
    Wrote that up quickly so there may be some errors to iron out.

8. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Isn't that the point?

I think I get what you are saying there. It may not be desirable for a game where you go up levels in a building. But any solution is dependant on what you want to achieve, in your particular scenario.

9. E.M.I

E.M.I Member

Well, I think it's ridiculous to think that the level won't go up a bit at any point of the game. Even if it's just a small slope, it'd look weird if the shadow got smaller as you walked up the slope right? That's not how real shadows work. Though, if there isn't a fixed jump height, my code would have to be changed, but we don't know that.

10. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Ah yes! That probably explains why the shadows don't draw on the way up during my jump. Thanks!

The Sorcerer likes this.
  11. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

I think it is ridiculous that you wouldn't think to use your ground as the point of reference. :)

12. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Hey guys, I see what you're saying, the reason I wanted it to change size in increments like that is so it'd register it on the way up and down.

13. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Ya I hear what you're saying, I don't know how complex I will be making the depth of levels yet

14. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

No worries. You can subtract y from y_previous for that one. The sign will give you the direction.

Pkirkby likes this.
  15. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Yeah, I should be able to find the bottom of the z-axis references and use that. Not that I know how, but I'll look into it. Thanks

16. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

That was aimed at the other dude. As I said in a previous post the ultimate solution is really reliant on the task at hand. Sounds like you are on top of it.

17. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Oh ok, but how do I set it up in switches or some sort of simple array? I'd really like to make a shadow manager that controls shadows of all obecjts I choose

18. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Im getting there,. My goal is to have the reference for the shadow the floor of Z axis, so I have some work to do in general. Thanks

The Sorcerer likes this.
  19. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

I'll take a bit of a look for you and see if I can come up with something.

Having a z axis, your game is intended to have a 3D (quasi-3D) feel to it? Sounds like you are not going down the traditional 2D side on route, right?

20. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Yeah that's right, it's essentially an ARPG, but I want a jump mechanic, so I'm working on how the shadows draw, I'd like to see it grow and shrink as you fall or rise. So far I kind of have it with that code, but for some reason it's not drawing shadows on the way up. I realize it's probably because there may be decimal points.

21. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

That worked, however, I need to reverse it for the way down. I'm going to fool around and see if I can figure it out. Because right now the shadow grows to max size while at the highest point of the jump, and stays that size.

22. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Edit: That worked perfect actually, I was seeing things lol. Thanks alot!

The Sorcerer likes this.
  23. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

24. Pkirkby

Pkirkby Member

Oh, there still is one little problem, even though right now the shadow only appears under the player, Id like to try angling it for a casted shadow at some point, and right now the shadow only seems to draw while zsp is above 0. So only draws when I jump.

25. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Easiest way is to add an if statement

Code:
    if(zsp == 0)
       // draw normal sized shadow

26. Timothy

Timothy Member

Probably a good idea to insure this is never zero

The Sorcerer likes this.
  27. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Important safety tip right there. This won't fix your problem, but will stop intermittent divide by zero crashes.