• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Shadow behind a moving object

Hello,

I'm new to GameMaker and I don't know if this is supposed to happen or not, or how to potentially fix it.
There's an object that follows the mouse position. And while it moves there is a wierd shadow constantly showing behind it.
I set the background color of the room to green.
The more faster the object moves, it's more visible and stretches out more.
On the video it's a bit less visible, but i hope you can see it.
It happends to me in every project since I change the background color, or add some tiles.

Thanks for all the help.

It's not GameMaker, it's the refresh rate of your monitor. Same thing goes for the video; select random frames throughout and you'll see no shadow.

D

Deleted member 13992

No shadow on my screen. Looks smooth.

It's as BattleRifle indicated. And this is often a symptom of lower quality monitors.

There are several monitor tests online. Here's one, is the UFO creating a shadow on your monitor?

No shadow on my screen. Looks smooth.

It's as BattleRifle indicated. And this is often a symptom of lower quality monitors.

There are several monitor tests online. Here's one, is the UFO creating a shadow on your monitor?
Thanks for the link.
The UFO isn't creating a shadow for me, but it's blurry.

I tried different UFO test, and I could definitelly see the shadow behind it.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Take a look at this topic, and the one I linked to in that topic as well - it took a similar route as this one:

The short version is that nothing is wrong with your game or with GameMaker Studio. The source is, as others have said, your monitor. The only way to resolve it is getting a better one, and by that, I mean one with a fast response time and high refresh rate. Both of these contribute towards reducing blur.