• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Shaders on Android

slippy

I recently tried adding shaders to my project using the "Lighting System 2D" asset (by Jobo) from the Marketplace. It worked right away when I compile for windows but when I compile on Android it just makes the entire screen darker (shades everything). I'm using it to cast light as my player object passes by solids.

Any idea why this happens? Is there another shader I should try that might work instead of the one I tried?

Fanatrick

Reaching out to the vendor would be your best option. Alternatively, posting screenshots where we can see the difference between expected and resulting screens would be the first step.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
What is your device? does it support Open GL ES 2.0? Or, does it have a GPU? Did you compile in YYC or VM? Sometimes the YYC can change the code a little... Have you tried to clear the cache before compiling?

Any idea why this happens? Is there another shader I should try that might work instead of the one I tried?
If it doesn't work, you can try using surfaces or vertex buffers.

slippy

Thanks for the ideas. I am testing it on a Pixel 4XL which is a capable device. I found a different library/demo (dynamic lights) that uses vertex buffers and seems to work so I am just going to stick to that.

The lighting system 2D doesn't from the marketplace doesn't work after clearing cache and tried it with different configurations (maybe a bug)... you can see the composite shadow overlay on android for me but it doesn't cut out the casters.

I'm still really new to shaders but they make everything look so much better I am glad I'm playing with them. Thanks for your help.