• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Shaders and credit

jf_knight

When working on a commercial game, how does one go about crediting shader code you find on websites such as glslsandbox.com or shadertoy.com ?
Does it even need to be credited?

Hopefully the website will have a section on crediting. If not, try hunting down the user who posted it and asking them what they want to happen. In absence of all of that, I -guess- simply crediting the website (i.e. "Shading snippets from gslsandbox.com" or something like that) would be ok, but IANAL.

Just have a credits section and add their name. I've only seen one Youtuber look at a credits section, but at least its there.

Shader:
- Johnny Highfive

Its just that simple. I've seen one person's credits give all the license information too.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Generally it's easier to get away with stealing code since it's not possible to instantly recognize it the way you can recognize stock art and audio, but I'd still be careful with it - if your site has no license information at all anywhere, it's a crappy site. The normal courtesy of giving credit is a notice along the lines of

Using <optional: resource type, e.g. "shader code"> THINGAMAJIG NAME by CREATOR NAME
<URL to the exact page you downloaded it from, or their profile on the site, or their personal webpage>
<optional: "resource used under CC-BY (or other license name that applies) license">