Free SF2 Demake

basementApe

Hi all,

Some time ago I decided to try and remake the all-time classic SF2 in GMS2, and this is what I managed to come up with. SF2 Demake plays pretty close to the real thing and has got two new characters of my own, with 100% original designs, movesets, animations, and backgrounds.

This was made purely as a learning experience, and it's helped me realize a lot of important things about how to take a commercial-level game from start to finish. So for anyone who struggle to get off the ground with their game-making adventures I can recommend trying to recreate some old game that you like as an educational exercise (tho maybe best try something a bit smaller in scope than this). Just remember to NEVER try to make money off it unless everything is 100% your own creation.

Anyways, the game has support for gamepad and keyboard controls (fully customizable), VS-mode (local only), survival mode, and a CRT-mode you can turn on if you're allergic to big pixels. It's missing a couple of things, such as a hi-score table to make it truly feature-complete, but this is as far as I'm gonna take it I think.

Trailer and download link below.

Last edited:

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
Your pixel art is amazing. How long did this project take you? I'm really grateful that you offer it for free, but I can't imagine putting so much love and effort into something that you can never sell for profit.

basementApe

Thanks! :D

Putting it all together took me about a year, which I spent on programming for the most part. I guess you could say I did it to prove to myself that I can build a commercial-level game from start to finish. I figured if I could replicate one of my favorite games in GMS2 and make it play reasonably bug-free then I should be in pretty good shape to program anything else. Originally I had just planned to redo a couple of characters along with the main menu, game over screen and the like but then I got kinda carried away.. XD

basementApe

The backgrounds are all downscaled from the arcade version and other versions and redrawn in a lower resolution with just a handful of colors. Same with the fighter portraits and other UI stuff.

The backgrounds are all downscaled from the arcade version and other versions and redrawn in a lower resolution with just a handful of colors. Same with the fighter portraits and other UI stuff.
Make sense when you compare it to the arcade version, I haven't thought of that. Looks pretty on par with the console version, with maybe a little less details in the fighters, but very hard to notice for an untrained eye, I'd say.
Good job

Slyddar

Great job, very authentic demake. Your character Linh? beat the crap out of me multiple times. Also I had a bug as Ryu where my character would continue moving left even after dying, or restarting the match. Also PS4 controllers don't work, so maybe check device id's other than 0.
All up though, very impressive work, well done.

basementApe

Thanks everybody! :)

Great job, very authentic demake. Your character Linh? beat the crap out of me multiple times.
Really? I thought her AI might have been too easy compared to most of the others. Guess not.

The SF2D AI in general has been an interesting balancing act. It doesn't take much tweaking to tip it from being too hard to way too easy and vice versa. M. Bison for instance is a bit easy right now I think, but last time I tried to tweak his AI he became borderline impossible.

Also I had a bug as Ryu where my character would continue moving left even after dying, or restarting the match. Also PS4 controllers don't work, so maybe check device id's other than 0.
Do you remember what happened exactly that led to the bug? I'll try to fix it if I can reproduce it. Gonna look into changing the controller code as well.

Slyddar

Do you remember what happened exactly that led to the bug?
I don't. Was just playing like normal. I did notice that losing the round, and even losing the match, and pressing continue, didn't reset it. Even if you can reset the controls in between rounds it would help counter it.

K12gamer

This game is stunning! It's the only Street Fighter type fighting game (made with GameMaker) I remember ever playing.
Nice responsive controls and smooth character animation.

Does anyone know of any similar fighting games made with GameMaker?

basementApe

Great work ... I am curious if you could give me a very brief over view of how you handled the hit boxes ?
Sure. I'm not that great at explaining stuff so here are a couple of screenshots to illustrate:
SF2D_hitboxes.png

SF2D_collmask.png

I tried to replicate the original SF2 collision and hit boxes as closely as possible using a collision object separate from the player object. Each collision sprite frame is made up of three boxes with collision type set to precise-per-frame. The attackbox (in red) is another separate object that contains all kinds of attack data; damage, width and height, attack frame etc. When a fighter's animation is at a certain point; frame >= attackFrame and frame < attackFrame + 1, the attackbox checks if it's overlapping with the opponent's hitbox. There's a webpage somewhere that has a lookup for all SF2 characters' collision data as well as all the frame timings. Really comprehensive stuff. I forgot the link tho unfortunately.., shoryuken wiki something I think.

Heathenlamb

Sure. I'm not that great at explaining stuff so here are a couple of screenshots to illustrate:
View attachment 41520

View attachment 41519

I tried to replicate the original SF2 collision and hit boxes as closely as possible using a collision object separate from the player object. Each collision sprite frame is made up of three boxes with collision type set to precise-per-frame. The attackbox (in red) is another separate object that contains all kinds of attack data; damage, width and height, attack frame etc. When a fighter's animation is at a certain point; frame >= attackFrame and frame < attackFrame + 1, the attackbox checks if it's overlapping with the opponent's hitbox. There's a webpage somewhere that has a lookup for all SF2 characters' collision data as well as all the frame timings. Really comprehensive stuff. I forgot the link tho unfortunately.., shoryuken wiki something I think.
Thanks ! Thats all I needed ... appreciate the info