1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

setting variables inside conditions

Discussion in 'Programming' started by CloseRange, Oct 1, 2019.

1. CloseRange

CloseRange Member

This is a weird question but i was wondering if it's possible to set a variable while inside a condition.
    For example I have a script that returns either an instance of an object or false. Could I do something like this:
    Code:
    var o;
    while(o = script()) {
          show_debug_message(o.name);
    }
    I do know game maker is weird with == vs = and so I'm just worried it will try to check if o is equal to the return of script. (not how most languages work but okkkkk)

Also, kinda related, I tried this but couldn't seem to get it to work. Maybe I have the formatting wrong but most languages you can do this:
    Code:
    var a, b;
    a = b = 10;

so b gets set to 10 and a gets set to b (so both a and b are 10). I thought I remember this being a valid thing.

2. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

while script()

But no, that won't work.

In your second code, a would be equal to 0 or 1. The only inline modifications you can do are ++ and --.

Mert and CloseRange like this.
  3. CloseRange

CloseRange Member

Thank you. I guess I can write it all out the long way was just hoping to be able to be a little lazier.

4. Mert

Mert Member

Just a note, Game Maker Language will receive a major update in the following months. If I'm correct, we'll be able to do what the OP asks for then.