• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED Setting up multiplayer with Steamworks using Steamworks.gml by YellowAfterlife

I

Infernobomb

I have a multiplayer game using Gamemaker Studio 1.4 with the 39dll, but am hoping to change over to Steamworks using the Steamworks.gml extension.

I have downloaded the repo and following the instructions have tried importing the extension, but whenever I try and compile the project I get this error message:

Code:
Extension Steamworks.gml file Steamworks.gml.dll does not exist
Error.png

Before I go down the rabbit hole of looking into the dll code, would anyone have already experienced this and know what is causing it?

Thanks!

I

Infernobomb

I was able to get past this issue by getting the Steamworks.gml extension from the Steamworks.gml example on itch instead of from the repo.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If you are taking the code from GitHub, you will need to compile it yourself either via included Visual Studio solution (for Windows) or included command-line scripts (for Mac and Linux).

Ozee62

Can you please make a video tutorial or detailed description how to compile it in visual studio? I've tried to compile via visual studio 2017 but it also gives an error :
GML:
1>Done building project "SteamWorks.gml.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
1611579791674.png

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Can you please make a video tutorial or detailed description how to compile it in visual studio? I've tried to compile via visual studio 2017 but it also gives an error :
GML:
1>Done building project "SteamWorks.gml.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
View attachment 37423
If it says "failed while running post-build" step, that's okay so long as you don't add any new functions. The README mentions setting up GmxGen if you need that.

I'm open to setting up a VM and doing a "setting up from scratch" tutorial if anyone is willing to pay for those few hours of work.