• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Setting graphics - based on device hardware spec.

RyanC

Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of coding an auto graphics optimization script for my game and was wondering if anyone knows how to go about this.

For example:
On the Galaxy Tab S2, the game needs to run at a smaller resolution than the devices resolution to prevent lag.
This is also true for the nexus 7 1st Generation and other week devices.

Anyone know if there's away to get the devices spec in order to predict the resolution % that's required.
Should I just guess that all devices with low resolution are going to have matched hardware?

rIKmAN

You could probably use a combination of the device resolution and os_version to take a guesstimate of what sort of hardware you are running on. If the os_version is low then maybe drop the resolution a little below the actual device resolution whilst still keeping the aspect ratio to ensure full screen.

The-any-Key

Why not just add a settings menu?
Ex
  • Hd
  • Fast
And let the user decide. It's done in other games. To auto check it will not give you the results you want. A happy player.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This is what I'd go with, although the perfect solution would probably to have a combination of both... ie: have a check and try to set the options automatically, but also have a game menu where the user can overide these settings if they want. Much like most PC games do now...

RyanC

Ex
  • Hd
  • Fast
And let the user decide. It's done in other games. To auto check it will not give you the results you want. A happy player.
Yes the game has a manual setting, I just wanted to make it more plug and play. Especially as the high graphics settings have been known to crash the week devices, the user may not be able to load the settings.

You could probably use a combination of the device resolution and os_version to take a guesstimate of what sort of hardware you are running on. If the os_version is low then maybe drop the resolution a little below the actual device resolution whilst still keeping the aspect ratio to ensure full screen.
That's what I was looking for, I didn't know I could get the operating system version, this will certainly come in handy.

RangerX

I also vote for the "best of both worlds".
In The Life Ruby am checking the framerate for 800 steps when the game starts and if the average is not above 55 fps, I put the game in a faster/less demanding mode.
In the option menu you can mess around with all my settings (application surface on/off, v-sync on/off, 30 fps mode, etc)

RyanC

Sounds like a good setup, I disabled the app surface once and it made my game run slower for some reason, I also need at least 140 fps real, just to get the game to run smoothly.