1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Code Setting a tile's alpha in code

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Flip, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Flip

Flip Member

Is this possible? The only thing I can see is a reference to a compatibility function "layer_tile_alpha(tile_element_id,alpha)" which should not be used outside of compatibility scripts?

How can I adjust the opacity of a tile in code?

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

You can't currently unless you use your own shader to do it. I'm pretty sure this is a coming feature though...

3. Flip

Flip Member

Sounds complicated.. yes I read it was a coming feature but that was posted a year ago. Was hoping they got around to it and I've overlooked it. Not sure how this hasn't made it in yet seems important!

4. SRJProd

SRJProd Member

It does seem like a useful feature, I'd never really thought about it. Might look into it, see if I can think of a temporary/simple solution.

5. Flip

Flip Member

Useful is right. All games I've theorized could use it, and benefit from the performance of not having to entirely switch through and between tiles or as nocturne said create a custom shader.

6. bbbower

bbbower Member

Yeah, been beating my head in trying to figure out why this wasn't working, turns out its not only removed but also a unicorn now. Writing a shader would work for some instances, but in particular, I was using the alpha of the tile prior to a shader to send data to the shader to move its position so it kind of kills the whole purpose and I now need to add every tile into a seperate asset and drop it in the level or rewrite the entire draw pipeline and manually read from my own tile mapping file and blah yeah ... i just gave up