Suggestion Setting a limit to the height of signatures?

P

Paolo Mazzon

This isn't a bug, so I assumed it wouldn't fall under "issue with new forum," more of a suggestion. On the old forums, you couldn't have a signature bigger than like 170 pixels or something, but I don't think there is a rule for that anymore, so you end up with threads that are massive just because someone decided that they needed a super high res image in their signature.

So is it possible that once again, we have a signature height rule?

Roa

I've seen some comments from nocturne on other people's signature that they had been modified to be smaller, but I don't think there are any concrete rules. They straight up dont appear on mobile.

A

Aura

Never been a fan of signatures, so I disable them before doing anything else when I join a forum. You can turn them off by going to Preferences and unchecking "Show people's signatures with their messages" for the time being, but that is going to be a workaround, not a solution. ^^'

Either way, I guess that the moderators are already taking care of huge signatures. But there should be a explicit rule about the size of the signatures, even if it is just for the sake of it.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
AFAIK the old rules carried over (no taller than 160 pixels with a width of 600; everything in the signature COMBINED may at most be 160 pixels tall, not just images; if your signature contains spoiler tags, the height rules applies to it closed, so if you absolutely need to use huge stuff, you must spoiler them)

hdarren

Can a mod please remove <name removed> signature until he follows the forum rules.

mod edit: Please use the report system, instead of calling out members in public.

Last edited by a moderator:

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
I've been wearing out the report button on signatures which include massive GIF files. I know most of us are on high speed internet, but I still don't appreciate having to download 10-20mb every page load just because of signature GIFs. :rolleyes:

Maybe a file size limit (or something nebulous like "use your best judgement") should be added to the signature rules as well.

P

Paolo Mazzon

I've been wearing out the report button on signatures which include massive GIF files. I know most of us are on high speed internet, but I still don't appreciate having to download 10-20mb every page load just because of signature GIFs. :rolleyes:

Maybe a file size limit (or something nebulous like "use your best judgement") should be added to the signature rules as well.
^^

(I don't go to many websites)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Totally agreeing with that as well, having grown up in a remote suburb that didn't even get internet until a few years ago I really valuable proper use of bandwidth. (Not to mention shiny animated signatures are distracting as heck and I'm trying to dev here! xD)

G

Greenhawk

Totally agreeing with that as well, having grown up in a remote suburb that didn't even get internet until a few years ago I really valuable proper use of bandwidth. (Not to mention shiny animated signatures are distracting as heck and I'm trying to dev here! xD)
But but....but....they're so colerful. :p I feel y'all though.