1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Setting a limit to the height of signatures?

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by Paolo Mazzon, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Paolo Mazzon

Paolo Mazzon Guest

This isn't a bug, so I assumed it wouldn't fall under "issue with new forum," more of a suggestion. On the old forums, you couldn't have a signature bigger than like 170 pixels or something, but I don't think there is a rule for that anymore, so you end up with threads that are massive just because someone decided that they needed a super high res image in their signature.

So is it possible that once again, we have a signature height rule?

Aura and F_Clowder like this.
  2. Roa

Roa Member

I've seen some comments from nocturne on other people's signature that they had been modified to be smaller, but I don't think there are any concrete rules. They straight up dont appear on mobile.

Snail Man likes this.
  3. Aura

Aura Guest

Never been a fan of signatures, so I disable them before doing anything else when I join a forum. You can turn them off by going to Preferences and unchecking "Show people's signatures with their messages" for the time being, but that is going to be a workaround, not a solution. ^^'

Either way, I guess that the moderators are already taking care of huge signatures. But there should be a explicit rule about the size of the signatures, even if it is just for the sake of it.

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

AFAIK the old rules carried over (no taller than 160 pixels with a width of 600; everything in the signature COMBINED may at most be 160 pixels tall, not just images; if your signature contains spoiler tags, the height rules applies to it closed, so if you absolutely need to use huge stuff, you must spoiler them)

Blackened likes this.
  5. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

The Community Guidelines already ask that members keep signatures under 100 pixels tall (approximately).

6. hdarren

hdarren Member

Can a mod please remove <name removed> signature until he follows the forum rules.

mod edit: Please use the report system, instead of calling out members in public.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  7. Aura

Aura Guest

@hdarren: It's really rude to point out people's names in public. If you think that something breaks a rule, you should report the profile instead of doing that.

8. FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson Member GMC Elder

I've been wearing out the report button on signatures which include massive GIF files. I know most of us are on high speed internet, but I still don't appreciate having to download 10-20mb every page load just because of signature GIFs. :rolleyes:

Maybe a file size limit (or something nebulous like "use your best judgement") should be added to the signature rules as well.

Paolo Mazzon and Nocturne like this.
  9. Paolo Mazzon

Paolo Mazzon Guest

^^
    [​IMG]

(I don't go to many websites)

10. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Totally agreeing with that as well, having grown up in a remote suburb that didn't even get internet until a few years ago I really valuable proper use of bandwidth. (Not to mention shiny animated signatures are distracting as heck and I'm trying to dev here! xD)

FredFredrickson likes this.
  11. Greenhawk

Greenhawk Threatuna Agent

But but....but....they're so colerful. :p I feel y'all though.