Setting a deadline and sticking to it!

pixeltroid

Do you guys set deadlines or timetables and follow them to achieve your project goals? Or do you prefer a more open ended approach? By open ended, I mean you work whenever you feel inspired and/or keep adding new features every now and then, without a fixed date of completion in your mind.

I've been adding new features and modifying sprites, tilesets and levels. I realized it can be a neverending process and cant go on forever if I'm serious about creating a playable game. I've also decided to run with whatever I have and that, come what may, I must have something ready no more than 10 day from now!

*fingers crossed!*

Why did I say 10 days? Let me see if "burning the ships" really works to achieve goals!

G

GhostGK

Why did I say 10 days? Let me see if "burning the ships" really works to achieve goals!
Always add some leeway into time and budget of your plans, because lots of unexpected stuff can happen which will delay you..
Missing deadlines don't do your confidence and motivation much good..

G

GhostlyFeline

I find deadlines to be a pretty reliable source of motivation to get things done. If you plan your goals well, it can be a great tool.

As for sticking to deadlines, my strategy is to tell other people when my deadline is going to be, and what I'm planning to have done. That way, I have that extra push to actually meet the deadline. Even if you don't achieve all of your goals for the milestone, you can look at your progress, and adjust accordingly for the next milestone.

G

gibberingmouther

i work when i feel inspired, which is pretty predictable usually (right now i'm working on coding, which is the hardest for me so i need coffee or sugary tea to motivate). i might have a couple days of burn out where i stay away from coffee, but then i'm usually able to work. it just depends on whether i'm in a place where i can get anything done, or if i need to go on chatrooms or forums and ask for help with a coding problem. my work ethic has been driven by abusing substances and it worked for awhile except now i have intrusive thoughts (probable brain damage from mixing uppers and downers; this is why i call myself gibbering mouther) and gout from binge drinking. at least i stopped drinking before i became an alcoholic i guess, so the gout isn't so horrible if you think about it that way. in fact i could look at it as a gift from God who has been nice to me it seems even though i'm a sinner and unworthy. :|