• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Set default build type?

csanyk

When I build applications, if I'm building to Windows or Windows-YYC, the default option is always to build as an NSIS Installer application. I usually prefer to build single runtime executables. But every time I re-launch GM:S, it reset back to NSIS Installer. Is there a way to change the default so that it's single runtime executable?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It irks me a bit as well, especially since the GMC Jam encourages compressed application ZIPs and outright forbids installers, so having installers on the top of the list suggests - wrongfully - that it's the default and recommended option. Sure, there's a lot of other game outlets as well, but installers seems to be frowned upon generally nowadays.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I moved this here to Tech Support, since it's a question about the operation of the GM IDE.

I seem to recall YoYo (Mike, I believe) suggesting before that the installer version won't be "demoted" on the list. But like @csanyk, I'd prefer to see my previous choice get "remembered".

Barring that, it would be useful to have the selection box automatically expanded, so that all three choices (installer, executable, zip) are visible simultaneously when "create application" is clicked. Because some new users aren't even aware that non-installer options exist.

I'll suggest this in the Suggestion Box on the YYG site.

Last edited:

csanyk

I moved this here to Tech Support, since it's a question about the operation of the GM IDE.

I seem to recall YoYo (Mike, I believe) suggesting before that the installer version won't be "demoted" on the list. But like @csanyk, I'd prefer to see my previous choice get "remembered".

Barring that, it would be useful to have the selection box automatically expanded, so that all three choices (installer, executable, zip) are visible simultaneously when "create application" is clicked. Because some new users aren't even aware that non-installer options exist.

I'll suggest this in the Suggestion Box on the YYG site.
Remembering the last choice, or giving an option to select a default and have it be remembered really feels like the right way it should work. I can't tell you how many times in this past weekend I accidentally built an NSIS installer build because I forgot to doublecheck.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We've said this over and over... so, for everyone else who might search for this....

1) single executable's don't work on every platform. Microsoft changed the tool so that something built on windows 8 (and above probably) don't work on anything below that. It's not our tool, we just use the MS one. So this is a horrible choice for a standard tool.

2) zip. This isn't how normal games install and the reason for this is because on windows you can run something from the zip, and this might mean it hasn't gotten all the assets DLL and packages installed it needs in the proper place. So again, not a great default choice.

3) Installer. The only guaranteed way to get a game onto someones platform. It'll install all the DLLs, DX runtimes - everything you need. Hence, the default. if we didn't pick this one, we'd get loads of support questions asking why their game doesn't work.

csanyk

Ah, that makes more sense, then! Understanding why the installer method is preferred helps. Thanks for providing the additional information.

T

TheRaven81

Because some new users aren't even aware that non-installer options exist.
So could you enlighten the new users(like me), and tell us where those options are, and how to use them? I usually only build on windows, and I came from using 8.1 - the stand-alone .exe's were great for distribution. To me, an installer is just an unnecessary extra step. Especially if the game I build is simplistic in nature and doesn't require any extra files(dll's, etc.)