• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED Sequences moving slower at higher fps

Wainggan

Title
My game is set to room_speed 9999, and when I start a sequence, it moves much, much slower than normal. How can I fix this?

lost

There is a cutoff. You would think "oh, its infinite" but its probably 2/1000 or something to that effect on most non-beefy systems.

This thread might help you with some techniques: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/comments/4czp87
One described there discusses showing an animated sequence faster by skipping frames. You can use fractions and "round down" (floor function) to select a frame from a set. Example: I have 120 frames and I want to show it at 60 fps, so I add 2.0 to the frame counter.

Wainggan

Alright, I figured it out.
Gamemakers sequences, sprite animations and whatnot are calculated based on the games room_speed, not deltatime.
If you set the room_speed to 9999, but the game is running at 800 fps, then the game is technically lagging, and you want to know what happens when a game lags? It slows down. Because gamemakers sequences play based on the games room_speed, it plays very slowly.
My solution to this for now is to set the room_speed to fps_real.