• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Sequences don't work when physics is enabled

I originally used paths in order to animate instances that move in a physics world. It's a bit clumsy getting it set up, but it works.

I was excited to try sequences to make it easier so I did the same thing in a fraction of the time using Sequences. Very cool, but the issue is when I dragged the sequences into my room, I didn't see it do anything at first. Eventually, I found out that I have to disable physics for the room in order to make the animation run. That defeats the entire purpose of my game if physics isn't enabled. Is there any way to get sequences to run and be affected with other physic objects in a physics enabled room?

Is there any update on whether this feature will eventually get enabled or not? Maybe another way that I could do it with sequences and have physics enabled?

gnysek

Did you tried to get in touch with YYG support to get it handled? They should know what features should work in what way better than us.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Is there any update on whether this feature will eventually get enabled or not? Maybe another way that I could do it with sequences and have physics enabled?
You need to report it as a bug to YYG. However, I'm not really sure this is something that will be fixed. Sequences are - by their nature - not really designed for a physics simulation. The physics system is non-deterministic and meant to simulate "real world" physical interactions, while sequences are very much deterministic and meant to plot exact actions with no thought to the real world. So it makes sense that physics wouldn't work in a sequence... conceptually they are opposites.

Did you tried to get in touch with YYG support to get it handled? They should know what features should work in what way better than us.
Yes, I asked them and it's not on their radar for the reason described by Nocturne. It would be nice to use since it's much easier to implement. I'm starting to feel that GameMaker was designed more for non-physics-enabled games since I'm running into issues like this frequently when trying to make a physics-based game.

gnysek

If sprites works, and only instances aren't working, then it's not a bug in my opinion too. But if sprites also aren't working when physics are enabled, then it should be fixed.

Karlstens

The movement that I animated using the sequences, doesn't work if the objects are marked as using physics.
What if you enable physics on and off via code? I may have time to play with this tomorrow, as it gives me more reasons to learn more about sequencing.

You need to report it as a bug to YYG. However, I'm not really sure this is something that will be fixed. Sequences are - by their nature - not really designed for a physics simulation. The physics system is non-deterministic and meant to simulate "real world" physical interactions, while sequences are very much deterministic and meant to plot exact actions with no thought to the real world. So it makes sense that physics wouldn't work in a sequence... conceptually they are opposites.
Well, they sold us sequences as a cutscene tool. Although what you say makes sense, I don't see the NEED to block physics games to be able to access them.
I get that if you use the Sequences to try skeletal animation, or some small-local animation, it doesn't make sense, but I think this could at least compile and behave like **** in those case, but would still work for cutscenes and screen transitions, etc...