1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 Separate Applications Sharing Directories??

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Mythi.T, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Mythi.T

Mythi.T Member

Ok. I want to have a system where all version of a game, ie "my game" all share the SAME %localappdata% file.

GMS 2 is sandboxed, right? yes. and that means that application My Game v1.0 writes files into %localappdata%/My Game v1.0/ and the application My Game v1.2 writes files into %localappdata%/My Game v1.2/

What I WANT is to have a system in my game where both My Game v1.0 and My Game v1.2 use the SAME directory/writing file location, basically breaking the sandbox:

As in My Game v1.0 AND My Game v1.2 would write files into, say, %localappdata%/My Game Save Global/ (example)

Code:
    if !directory_exists(%localappdata%/global directory) // or something {
         directory_create(%localappdata%/global directory) // [NOT %localappdata%/My Game vWhatever/global directory]
    } else {
        //ALWAYS Use this directory and read whatever files from it
    }

SO
    Is there ANY thing I could do to make this work? I know there are non-sandboxed file system extensions out there but do they contain what i am looking for? A way to use outside-sandbox file locations/directories? I way to always use that directory when reading files?

Answer Please that would be great