Send SMS via Third Party API from your app?

RizbIT

Ok so you cant send sms directly from your app or request sms permissions.

But can you have a button labelled Send SMS in your app, that forwards your message and number to a online free / paid SMS service which will then send the sms to that number?

So your phone or doesnt directly send any SMS.

If yes do you need to ask for SMS permission still?

chamaeleon

Ok so you cant send sms directly from your app or request sms permissions.

But can you have a button labelled Send SMS in your app, that forwards your message and number to a online free / paid SMS service which will then send the sms to that number?

So your phone or doesnt directly send any SMS.

If yes do you need to ask for SMS permission still?
If you mean making a http post to a web service, the answer would be no, as that has nothing to do with sms on the phone.

RizbIT

no as in what?
you can send sms using third party api?
you dont then need to request sms permission as the phone isnt directly sending sms?

ive heard you can send sms using phones default sms sender, by opening that app using activity starter or similar?

chamaeleon

no as in what?
you can send sms using third party api?
you dont then need to request sms permission as the phone isnt directly sending sms?

ive heard you can send sms using phones default sms sender, by opening that app using activity starter or similar?
No, as in you don't need sms permission to send using an online internet service instead of using the phone to send the sms, because as far as the phone and operating system is concerned it is no different from any other web/internet request. I can't speak to the use of an assigned sms app on the phone.

Pfap

No, as in you don't need sms permission to send using an online internet service instead of using the phone to send the sms, because as far as the phone and operating system is concerned it is no different from any other web/internet request. I can't speak to the use of an assigned sms app on the phone.
This seems like it might be a legal grey area though... and to be safe maybe just mention to your user what is going on. Something to the effect of you're passing their data to a 3rd party who will then send the SMS? I'm not sure what's correct here, but better safe than sued. Although, a lot of the permission requests and even the GDPR seem to spread a lot of FUD, for lack of a better term.

chamaeleon

This seems like it might be a legal grey area though... and to be safe maybe just mention to your user what is going on. Something to the effect of you're passing their data to a 3rd party who will then send the SMS? I'm not sure what's correct here, but better safe than sued. Although, a lot of the permission requests and even the GDPR seem to spread a lot of FUD, for lack of a better term.
The legalese is another matter of course. I can't say either what the terms and conditions may be for any given sms service. I'm sure a lawyer will be consulted as necessary though.