• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SELUNA - Shadow of a Doubt

D

dettadeus

Story:
You play as Luna Waning, a teenage girl going through some troubled times in a very conservative town. Luna and her older sister Selena both have active Shadows, meaning they can interact with the physical world and have a consciousness and will of their own. Active Shadows enjoy picking on their humans and grow stronger in the physical world based on the strength of their human's emotions, both positive and negative. And if a human's emotions grow strong enough, their Shadow can actually take control over them at the first sign of vulnerability, allowing the Shadow a permanent physical form (though they still aren't fond of extremely bright lights or completely dark areas).
At the start of the game, Luna's sister -struggling with crippling depression and societal pressure- takes her own life and seems to disappear without a trace. Soon afterwards, a series of strange incidents start occurring all over town, with reports of shadowy creatures attacking civilians and city government officials before vanishing into the night. It seems that Luna is the only one who can put a stop to them, but only if her Shadow decides to cooperate with her.

Gameplay:
Combination beat-em-up/puzzle platformer. You'll have to beat up enemies throughout each level, with a few bosses here and there. To progress through each level, you'll have to utilize your Shadow (working name), a species of monster normally hidden from human eyes. Every human has a Shadow linked to them, but for the most part they're dormant and do nothing, simply living within the physical shadow that their human projects. Obviously, that's not the case with our protagonist. In strictly gameplay terms, your Shadow mimics your actions, allowing you to attack and do other stuff from a safe distance, though he doesn't have infinite stamina and he is still limited to the area in which you project a shadow. This opens up the opportunity for light-related puzzles and a more complex beat-em-up experience.

Recent progress videos, newest first. Videos are all in a playlist so you can view older ones as well.

the shadow works as intended with most slopes (still doesn't work 100% on 45 degree slopes, but i think i can just avoid them in level design).
i had to basically rip the code out from individual objects and throw it all into a single script to make sure everything happened in the right order before each frame updated.

forgot to upload a preview when i finished this. lamp has a menu when interacting; it closes when you walk away.

ignore the fact that the shadow is glitching out in this video; i haven't done some of its cases yet, like having no light source and with the lamp light specifically

Added an enemy and hitboxes.
Luna also has a new standing pose, will eventually have a walking animation for use inside buildings and the old standing pose will be used while she's in combat levels.

Added little floating textboxes above objects you can interact with, some will have menus (like the lamp will have options to pick up or turn on, rather than being separate buttons).
Most rooms will not have so many objects to interact with in such a cluttered space, so the textboxes won't seem so intrusive.

Ported pause menu over from a side project, will probably start messing with textboxes around objects in other rooms as well.
Shadow also gets more transparent the further he is from the light souce. it'll also eventually be linked to the strength of the light once i've actually added some variables for that.

I probably won't have a playable demo for a while since I'm focusing on building up the foundation before I delve into level design too much, but I plan to have fairly frequent updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mauwers

Looking good, not sure if you were already planning this but adding a small screen shake to your game when hitting enemies will add a lot.

D

dettadeus

Pretty cool, but that's not completely how shadows work :p
The shadow is actually calculated pretty consistently with how shadows normally work (lots of trigonometry) but I need to revamp the whole thing so it functions on slopes and walls, right now it basically only makes a straight line and sticks it to the ground.

Thanks for the other feedback - screen shake is a good idea but it's an aesthetic detail so I probably would add it later.

D

dettadeus

Ah yeah, Now I see the line on the ground, I was talking about that ghost shadowy thing though xD
f a n t a s y

Also somewhat of a duller update, but...

In the process of redoing the entire shadow generation process; originally the game would do some fairly basic trig and then end up with... a line. The thing about that is that the line was locked to the level of the ground objects, couldn't really be bent/cut off, etc. And I hadn't even begun to think about how it could be done on ceilings and walls... without completely redoing how the shadow was made.

So after a few days' work, the new system is kind of presentable. For the most common case (light shining from above, no slope/walls) it works pretty much identically, but the other cases still need to be worked out (though I have notable progress on light shining from below, e.g. the shadow casts onto a ceiling).
The shadow is now represented by a series of individual pixel objects, who roughly tag along with each other to figure out their positions. These are created and destroyed as the shadow gets longer and shorter, and there are additionally two separate objects for the starting and ending pixels of the shadow (these are the green and red pixels on either end of the shadow). The starting pixel stores variables such as the shadow's length and offset, while the ending pixel is used to determine the position of the Active Shadow.

There is also a line which is locked to the center of the light source and aims through Luna's head, which checks for collisions with the pixels and cuts the shadow short when the pixels are raised along slopes. This part isn't completely done yet; I'm still running into issues where the pixels make it through for one frame before being cut off. The shadow still ends up the right length after a bit, but it should cut the end off before the shadow is drawn.
Ideally I will also use this line to shift the shadow pixels over when the shadow passes over something like a cliff, since the pixels are currently locked horizontally.

D

dettadeus

forgot to upload a preview when i finished this. lamp has a menu when interacting; it closes when you walk away.

ignore the fact that the shadow is glitching out in this video; i haven't done some of its cases yet, like having no light source and with the lamp light specifically

the shadow works as intended with most slopes (still doesn't work 100% on 45 degree slopes, but i think i can just avoid them in level design).
i had to basically rip the code out from individual objects and throw it all into a single script to make sure everything happened in the right order before each frame updated.

D

dettadeus

very close to finishing the shadow system; works on ceiling and decently well on slopes, although there are occasional hiccups (which can be seen where it randomly clips through the slope and onto the ground below). just need to get it working on walls and then iron out the bugs. i redid the transparency on the shadow as well to make it more accurate, basing it on horizontal distance from the light rather than the length of the shadow.

i also finally returned to revamping the movement code, which now allows Luna to deal with pretty much any slope universally. still have very rare cases of getting stuck or running off the slope but hopefully i should be able to pinpoint them and fix them.

oh also luna has some very minor movement (breathing) in her idle animation

D

dettadeus

made a hallway connected to luna's room, which leads to the remainder of the house (which currently doesn't exist). this is also the first time i've checked interactions with the shadow and more than one light source, and it worked surprisingly well.

this is also the first in-game appearance of selena, luna's older sister.

also lightly featured is the new grounded traction system; you will slide a bit when stopping, and take a bit to turn around when running. crouching will still stop you on a dime.

S

Somber Dawn Studios

I love the story and gameplay concepts. Quite unique!

D

dettadeus

quick and minor aesthetic bonus: pop-up dialogue boxes with randomized text. plan to use this to bring attention to side-quest NPCs and stuff like that, though it has other uses like displayed here.

luna can now swing the lamp as an attack. will eventually have an aerial swing as well.

D

dettadeus

wip of a dark warehouse level with flickering lights, and enemies that drive forklifts

also the first room which is wide enough to scroll

added loading zones and additional parts of luna's house

D

dettadeus

Been a while; a lot happened since the last time I posted here lol.

I’ve been working on some less noticeable changes like fixing shadow generation with multiple light sources, but in the meantime here’s a couple of more notable things I added recently.

A title screen mockup. The pixel art aspects (luna and selena, the street, kind of the moon) will likely not be changed, but I will probably redo the grass and possibly sky at some point.

Luna now walks in certain areas instead of running, will mostly consist of buildings where there’s more story stuff or interactable objects than enemies. Minor detail, but I felt it was necessary.

Mostly done with an object that you can push around for puzzles. Still need to make the shadow able to interact with it and some other stuff.

Other than that I've mostly been working on other games (one gamemaker, one unity) as of late, but I try to poke around with this one still since it's what I would consider my overall main project. I don't really wanna bother managing another thread in here for the other gamemaker project so if you're interested you can check them out here.

P

Piece0pie

Hey dettadues,

This looks like a fantastic concept. Your execution seems to be going well too. I am excited to see where this goes. Honestly it was a bit refreshing to stumble on this after scrolling through pages of RPG/Metroidvania/Sidcrolling Platformer/SHUMP/Zelda Clone.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Pie

D

dettadeus

Hey dettadues,

This looks like a fantastic concept. Your execution seems to be going well too. I am excited to see where this goes. Honestly it was a bit refreshing to stumble on this after scrolling through pages of RPG/Metroidvania/Sidcrolling Platformer/SHUMP/Zelda Clone.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Pie
Really appreciate it! I haven't been able to work on the game a whole lot lately since I got a full-ish time job, but I've still been thinking about character stuff in my spare time (and doing art occasionally). Hopefully I'll have some updates to post soon.

D

dettadeus

Speaking of...

You can now swing the lamp in the air. I might add some landing lag to the attack at some point.

Shadow doesn’t have actions for the lamp attacks yet, but it’s on my list to do soon.

T

tetherline

I like the ideas. The shadow mechanic has to be one of the more original things I've seen in recent times.

D

dettadeus

A few updates; was kinda low on motivation for this project for a while but it's picking back up lately.

Shadow swings the lamp with Luna.

Wanted movement to be more fluid, decided that immobile attacks are lame.

Started mocking up the HUD with some animations.

I'm also working on putting together a cast ask-blog, but not sure how soon that would be ready.

D

dettadeus

Decided to start revamping the text/dialogue system after messing around with the title screen pixel art I made a while back. Since the sprites are so small I felt it would be difficult to make them into meaningful poses for cutscenes, and the mugshots I had before could only convey facial expressions (also I didn’t like how they looked anymore). This is very much a WIP but I think this is more than a step in the right direction.

Here's some of the poses I have so far:

G

GloveGames

love it. great art style, nice n simple but very clear and defined :)

D

dettadeus

Did some menuing work. Obviously not complete but just wanted to experiment with a few things.