• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

"Selections automatically become brushes" is bothersome. (+ Other Sprite Editor Feedback)

C

CreatureFeature

Using the copy command after making a selection with the wand tool (or the other selection tools) doesn't need to make a custom brush by default; it certainly doesn't do that in any other graphics editor I've used. A more sensible route would be to map what you have going on to:
"right click on region of selection while on the correct layer -> make selection into a brush"
and then let the copy command just be a copy command.

Here's what else I think of the sprite editor, as someone coming from Photoshop:
-There should be shortcuts for changing brush size by individual increments while using the brush tool. I suggest [ and ] for -1 and 1, respectively.

-While using the Pan Image tool, we should have these features:
1.Nudging the selection (the selection being the entire layer if a selection tool wasn't used) pixel-by-pixel using the arrow keys. While holding shift, nudging should be done in increments of 10 pixels (and you can expand on that by allowing the user to decide the size of the increased increment).
2.Holding shift while dragging a selection should toggle a precision mode that entails movement locking certain directions, depending on where the selection is dragged by the mouse input:
-If the object is dragged up or down, lock movement to the y-axis.
-If the object is dragged left or right, lock movement to the x-axis.
-If the object is dragged diagonally towards down-left or up-right: lock movement to y = x.
-If the object is dragged diagonally towards up-left or down-right: lock movement to y = -x.
(I posted about these two on the recent room editor thread, saying that they should all be in the room editor as well.)

-On the Image drop-down menu, "Mirror" should be renamed to "Flip Vertically" and "Flip" should be renamed to "Flip Horizontally". (The mirror and flip brush tools could use the same change.)

On the plus side, the split icon thing you have for some of the tools like Ellipse and Polygon is cool. I would like to see that in Photoshop. Also, you already have Pan Image Tool suggestion #2 for the brush tool (sans the diagonal movement), and the nudge feature on the room editor (sans the hold shift for bigger increment part). Bravo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
One you select an area, you can move it around with the mouse, or use the cursors to move it pixel by pixel. Cut and paste is done via brushes. Yes, this is different, but we're not trying to remake photoshop or any other art tool. This is a brush based tool, and being able to "paint" with brushes is incredibly powerful and lets you rapidly build up images where previously you'd have to copy, then paste, move, paste, move, paste, move, paste, move, paste, move, etc.. It's just a different way of doing things.

+ and - change brush size, and Shift+Z lets the stretch it with the mouse
Selections can already be moved around with the mouse, or using the cursor keys

C

CreatureFeature

One you select an area, you can move it around with the mouse, or use the cursors to move it pixel by pixel. Cut and paste is done via brushes. Yes, this is different, but we're not trying to remake photoshop or any other art tool. This is a brush based tool, and being able to "paint" with brushes is incredibly powerful and lets you rapidly build up images where previously you'd have to copy, then paste, move, paste, move, paste, move, paste, move, paste, move, etc.. It's just a different way of doing things.

+ and - change brush size, and Shift+Z lets the stretch it with the mouse
Selections can already be moved around with the mouse, or using the cursor keys
I see. I just find the system a bit inconvenient when I want to use the wand just to select and delete something. Also I found that nudging one sprite I have with the route you described seemed to add copies of the sprite underneath, but I tried it again with a plain painted square and the smearing didn't happen there.