• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Seemingly random low FPS on a blank project on multiple devices.

Havik

Hi guys!

I noticed FPS issues with my game a while back but put it down to the devices I was testing on being old. However recently I've been trying it on some newer devices (pixel 2 etc) and the same issue appears.

I have since then created a completely blank project that does nothing apart from draw fps, fps_real and room_speed to the screen. fps_real is 200 at it's minimum on the devices yet fps sits around 30, anything from 28 -> 35ish. room_speed is set to 60.

I have disabled the application surface as well - no change.

However - on my personal phone, an Xperia XZ1, it runs fine, 60fps. And on my friends Galaxy S6, also 60.

I can't figure out why this is happening. I wondered originally about some poor coding or something but since the same is happening on a new blank project it can't be.

My build settings are:
Build tools: 25
Support Library: 25.0.0
T SDK: 25
M SDK: 9
C SKD: 25

Architecture - all ticked.
Sleep margin, 4ms (tried 10, no change).

My GMS2 runtime feed: 2.1.3.189

I'd like to carry on with my game but if there is some issue with framerates on android I'd rather figure it out now so I can code with this in mind rather than aiming for a nice 60fps. (Or having to go back and change everything later).

Thanks in advance.