Sector | PlatformerShooter

jonjons

Last edited:

jonjons

here are my personal thoughts about the game and whats troubling me.:D
___
One of the biggest problems i have making the game is how iam going to build a city in a platformer game. Most platformers ive played that have cities, the player usual walks on the Floor or on a Roof Top with parallax buildings on the background, then they go into a tunnel or a building complex, that is ussually bigger than the city itself.... And this is when they start jumping, running, shooting, from platform to platform, and doing all kinds of stuff.

The only thing that i can come up with for making a city in a platformer, and it can be noticed in the videos.

Is: Making a bridge with buildings, then another bridge on top of that bridge with more buildings, then another bridge with more buildings.. and so on... and so on...
Then of course its erasing everything and going back to zero.:D
___

Last edited:

Gravedust

Dang, impressive work. :) Watching your debug overlay is fun too. ;)

Though for what it's worth I think I like your (older?) running animation from the video in the spoiler with more lean and arm-swing a little better than what seems to be the current one.

Anyway. Assuming you are going for sort of a dystopian future setting, I don't think there would be any problems with just having buildings that are ten thousand stories high. ;) Just make sure to distinguish height visually, as in down near street level things are murky and dark because the sun never actually gets down that far between all the structures. Down low here is no actual skyline because it's all occluded by buildings, it's just structures parallaxing on top of more distant structures.

Assuming the player's objective to go upwards, they may not even see the sky or sun or real horizon until near the end of the game when they've climbed high enough that they're not just completely surrounded by buildings. Could make for a nice indicator of progress, and maybe a cool moment or two.

And if the buildings are huge you can alternate between indoor and outdoor segments. As in, you fight your way vertically through a couple floors of high-rise, emerge outside again for a section outdoors, head back in again, etc.

As far as other things to climb on, I'd say have a look at some cityscapes in photos or movies and take note of anything you might see that's climbable. Construction cranes come to mind, elevated train ways, maybe even huge, Gotham-city style statues, etc.

...that might mean remaking the levels from scratch, admittedly. ;)

Anyway. Hope that's helpful in some regard. Keep it up though, you are getting good results. :)

jonjons

Though for what it's worth I think I like your (older?) running animation from the video in the spoiler with more lean and arm-swing a little better than what seems to be the current one
wow... really ?! i though the 1st running animation was awful... My brother told me the animations were good when he 1st saw the player running, and i didn't understud why, there must be something about it that make people like it, i might leave it in the game has a power up for extra running. ( like in circle of moon when the player picks up the boots and starts running )

thanks for the review
yeah, one of the movies that resembles a city with big buildings with shops, houses, etc... and sections to go up and down, is total recall 2012. The movie also ends with the actors reaching the skyhigh... The rest is almost to complicated to get refences, ghost in shell, blade runner... games like dex, flashback... dont quite fit in a castlevania platformer. :D

jonjons

Another Update
Attempting to make a whole player gui like in castlevania circle of Moon...
Using ds_grids, echoSystem, Pogaming and binary ++ things... this one is not going so well

Kyon

Another Update
Attempting to make a whole player gui like in castlevania circle of Moon...
Using ds_grids, echoSystem, Pogaming and binary ++ things... this one is not going so well
my lord those sound effects.

Looks very good though!

jonjons

my lord those sound effects.
Looks very good though!
thanks
iam using this app for testing
BlastwaveFX_Free_Sound_FX_Download_Pack1
it generates the sound effects automatically... its on one of shawns videos

jonjons

Here an new update of what ive been making
Ive added some very cool features.

- weapons take only 1 very small sprite (image) - can be up 10000++++ totally diferent weapons in the game.
- weapons have diferent autofire/fire delay / damage / atributes... OPs
- items shop - sell / buy using XP
- save / load game... still making/testing this one

jonjons

heres a new update, on the game, ive been trying to make a city in a platformer without much success..
this time ive used some assets layer for shadows, to try to give the levels some depth, so it doesnt feel like the player is always walking agaisnt a flat wall, and to give the player a prespective of the platforms he can walk on.

jonjons

heres another update, it still looks weird but its starting to look like platform city...
all the levels are made with tiles and assets layers, except for 2 backgrounds

jonjons

Damn, dude. That is looking good. Running animation looks like it could use some work though but overall this is very impressive looking.
wow thank you :D
can you give a small detail on how the running animation would look better ?

There's no bounce to him, it almost looks like he's sliding his feet back and forward. This is because the head and body don't move.

If you search "running cycle" online you'll see heaps of these kinds of things that may illustrate what I mean.

That said, your animation still looks very nice and smooth so this is mostly a bit of a nitpick.

N

NeZvers

I'd say the only thing that jumps to me is your horizontal speed. It feels like your character doesn't have any movement friction that would happen in the real world and usually imitated with acceleration and deacceleration, plus movement in the air seems so surreal. Give limited acceleration/ deacceleration while not on the ground, meaning limited control in the air and more fun to the player because player needs to speed up on the ground before the jump.

jonjons

I'd say the only thing that jumps to me is your horizontal speed. It feels like your character doesn't have any movement friction that would happen in the real world and usually imitated with acceleration and deacceleration, plus movement in the air seems so surreal. Give limited acceleration/ deacceleration while not on the ground, meaning limited control in the air and more fun to the player because player needs to speed up on the ground before the jump.
yes i know... i just have to leave it for now, iam always deleting and rewriting the player code, making the acceleration now would problably get deleted in the future.