• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Seasonal Weather System

V

VooDooVal

Hi All!

I'm very new here! I was wondering if some of you more seasoned folks could help me! I'm looking for training/tutorials on how I might go about creating a seasonal weather system like the one in Stardew Valley!

I would like to have a day/night weather system that changes with seasons, maybe even have the textures of my game change depending on what season it is.

I realize that this may be a very large ask and perhaps a complicated process, however I have the time and drive to learn this! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Gamerev147

Here is a day/night tutorial:

I couldn't find anything about a season/weather system. But I feel like it would go something like this (not specific):
Take the day/night system you just made,
Make the cycle a TON longer.
Remove any shaders that make it day or night, and instead replace them with texture changes, weather effects, sounds, etc...

I haven't tried this at all, but it would go something like that. If you need more help or if you don't receive a lot of feedback, just PM me.
I suppose we could solve your problem together, as I also have plenty of time to work on something like this. :)

V

VooDooVal

Oh thank you so much! I will see if I can maneuver with that a bit and I'll shoot you a message with the results! Much appreciated!

Tails1000

You should check out Friendly Cosmonaut on youtube.
She has tons of tutorials all about making a farming simulator, and her day/night cycle video includes a season clock.
Though I don't think she has a video about weather, I still need to learn how to do that myself

Neptune

If you're talking 2D, I see 1 main approach -- if you put lighting to the side for now -- it comes down to just drawing assets.

Example: Say you have a wooden barrel... you should draw a variation of that barrel for any season that would change its appearance (maybe just winter?). Same goes for structures and foliage and whatever else.
Drawing all these asset variations will be your largest obstacle.

Otherwise in pseudo terms its essentially:
Code:
if season == winter {draw winter sprite;}

V

VooDooVal

You should check out Friendly Cosmonaut on youtube.
She has tons of tutorials all about making a farming simulator, and her day/night cycle video includes a season clock.
Though I don't think she has a video about weather, I still need to learn how to do that myself
Hello! Yes, I found her just today and i'm halfway through her Farm RPG tuts series! I'm gonna truck through that and see if It has everything I need. Thanks!

V

VooDooVal

If you're talking 2D, I see 1 main approach -- if you put lighting to the side for now -- it comes down to just drawing assets.

Example: Say you have a wooden barrel... you should draw a variation of that barrel for any season that would change its appearance (maybe just winter?). Same goes for structures and foliage and whatever else.
Drawing all these asset variations will be your largest obstacle.

Otherwise in pseudo terms its essentially:
Code:
if season == winter {draw winter sprite;}
Hi! I think you're right that I will have to draw all the assets 4 separate times essentially to get the effect I want. Lucky for me I paint for a living, or I would be in major trouble!

C

CreatorAtNight

Cool to see you're getting into Game Maker, I used to watch your art streams on Twitch. I've been away from Twitch for a while and got back to it recently, for some reason I lost a lot of the channels I used to follow, including your channel, I followed you again so I'll see you soon on Twitch :D

I was working on a seasonal weather system myself for a while. I didn't come to the point of making the actual weather system, but I did make a yearly day night cycle where the days would get shorter in the winter (shorter daytime, longer nights).
Let me know if you're interested in that.

V

VooDooVal

Cool to see you're getting into Game Maker, I used to watch your art streams on Twitch. I've been away from Twitch for a while and got back to it recently, for some reason I lost a lot of the channels I used to follow, including your channel, I followed you again so I'll see you soon on Twitch :D

I was working on a seasonal weather system myself for a while. I didn't come to the point of making the actual weather system, but I did make a yearly day night cycle where the days would get shorter in the winter (shorter daytime, longer nights).
Let me know if you're interested in that.
Oh my goodness! How crazy is it that we find each other again and here of all places? Small world, haha! Yes that system sounds like something I would be very interested in learning! I'm still streaming every weekend. Please pop in and let me know that it is you! We can talk about it together!

V

VooDooVal

Just change the image_blend of every sprite in game.
Hello! Thank you for your comment! I don't suppose you have a resource for a tutorial of what you mean? This is possibly a very simple thing but I've only bent at this a couple weeks and I find that If i can read a description or watch a video, I can better understand. If not, no worries! Thanks!

M

Misty

Hello! Thank you for your comment! I don't suppose you have a resource for a tutorial of what you mean? This is possibly a very simple thing but I've only bent at this a couple weeks and I find that If i can read a description or watch a video, I can better understand. If not, no worries! Thanks!
With statements apply a variable to all objects.

Such as "with object0 image_alpha=0"

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Their suggestion is to mass-apply image_blend to color-tint imagery, although this is of approximately no help on the matter as the difference between seasons usually isn't just in the general color tone. They might have been reading through the question too quickly.