• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Search for game created

F

Fenixgalax

Hello there
Im trying to make a multiplayer game and im using multyplayer addon from marketplace.
what it gives me is i need to create a game on one device and then join the game from another one. That is fine, however when im joining i must enter the ip address of the device that created the game and the port its on.

What i want is to make it so that device that needs to join the game just scans for the all ips on the current LAN. and check for if the game is created on either one of them.

Is this possible?
ty in advance

you will probably want 2 separate clients for that. a client host and a server host where the client host sees the reflection image of the server host

F

Fenixgalax

hm how about would i do that?
Im a bit new in servers and multyplayer

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Regarding the approach you suggested: Good luck searching through all possible combinations of this, especially when keeping variable length subnet masks in mind - subnets can be as small as two PCs in one subnet up to hundreds of thousands... or more, I'm bad at maths. :p That's not even keeping ports in mind! Abandon this idea.

There are functions to send network broadcasts in GML, though - basically sending messages to all devices in the local network. This message would contain the IP and port. It's the reverse of what you suggested and is a multitude of times more feasible.

F

Fenixgalax

ok so what is the function?
ive searched google and forum all over and nothing reasonable came out

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
It's literally the only result for "broadcast" or "network broadcast" when using the manual's search feature. That should be your go-to resource, not Google, not the GMC.

Press F1 from within the GameMaker: Studio IDE to open the manual. Alternatively, manuals for 1.x and 2.x are available at http://docs.yoyogames.com and http://docs2.yoyogames.com respectively.