Question - IDE Search and replace

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by NazGhuL, Nov 24, 2016.

1. NazGhuL

NazGhuL NazTaiL

ctrl+shift+F

I searched single quote on a create event to replace for double quotes. It worked so well that it changed ALL single quote for double quotes in then entire project!!

Could be great...but what if I don't want this?

2. Aura

Aura Guest

NazGhuL likes this.
  3. NazGhuL

NazGhuL NazTaiL

ok great!

4. NazGhuL

NazGhuL NazTaiL

Global find and replace is awesome. It loops to all my objects and scripts. It was easy to search all double quotes and turn them 1 by 1 to single quote.
    [​IMG]

5. breakmt

breakmt Member

Please, how to use local Search and replace? I have 2.0.6.146 and I can't find this function. I see in release notes for 2.0.6.136 "Search and replace inside the current script has been added".... but where??? Open my eyes please...

6. sylvain_l

sylvain_l Member

Ctrl+F

then click on the down arrow left of the serch field; it extend to a new replace field ;)

Starbox Games and breakmt like this.
  7. breakmt

breakmt Member

Oh, I see now, thank you! Wonder why this command is not present in "Edit" menu... Or anywhere else o_O

8. JapanGamer29

JapanGamer29 Member

Necro!

I can't find it in GMS2 v2.2.3.

CTRL+SHIFT+F opens the Search & Replace dialog box, but there's no option to search the current file. The down arrows only show your search and replace history.

upload_2019-9-1_15-24-30.png

Does local search still exist? Thanks.

9. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

That's because CTRL+SHIFT+F is the global search & replace.
    If you just want to search & replace in the currently open script/event/file just use CTRL+F like you would in other editing software.

JapanGamer29 likes this.
  10. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

CTRL+SHIFT+F is global find / replace.

If you have the event open and use just CTRL+F it will just search that specific event, or there is a tickbox in the search window that appears that says "Selection only" - tick that and it will search just the selected / highlighted text in the event you are in.

edit: ninja'd!

JapanGamer29 likes this.
  11. JapanGamer29

JapanGamer29 Member

Wow... 30 years of using computers, including a degree in the subject, and I've never used CTRL+F. :p

In fact, the only shortcut keys I ever use are CTRL with Z, X, C and V. Other than that, I've always used menus. I'm embarrassed. Even when I read the posts above that said to use CTRL+F, I assumed they meant with SHIFT, because that's what it says in the menu. Man, I'm starting to question my sanity.

Thanks for helping. I'm a bit smarter now. :)

rIKmAN likes this.