Android SDK

Tales

hello

DO you think I can uninstall Android studio WITHOUT it uninstall Android SDK?.. I only install it to the SDK but I fear to uninstall and loose everything and RE install for nothing... Android studio is huge and so useless for me, I understood I only need SDK.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I don't see any harm in trying, given that I've managed to get SDK operations working without the main Android Studio UI. Temporarily rename the SDK directory to keep the uninstaller away, then uninstall Android Studio, then rename the SDK directory back.

If you do this, make sure you know how to use the command line for sdkmanager.bat, just in case your SDK needs new libraries for future updates to GMS 2. The official installation instructions will likely keep using Android Studio, so you have to be self-sufficient in that aspect and know how to act.

Tales

for GM1 "experiment" I always search for people knowledge and experience instead of trying random things. More more "secured" haha I had a LOT of problem with GM1, at a time I even stop ALL update of GM1 because after update, GM didnt launch with very weird error message.. or game cant loading without error.. this arrived a lot of time.

I dont use bat and I dont want to try things rename uninstall reinstall I even dont all understand of your answer Im not eng etc thats why I ask a precise question. (maybe what you said works, BUT maybe not.)
In short, I guess you dont have the answer of my question but thanks to try!

sry for my english.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I know the answer to your question, and I said yes. But if you choose to work without Android Studio, you need to know how to use the SDK tools via the command line, particularly the sdkmanager command. If you don't understand my instructions and don't want to bother trying, keep Android Studio.

Also, GMS 1.4's Android export is practically dead due to Google Play's new 64-bit requirement. Since GMS 1.4 is past sunset, the updated needed to make it work will never happen. You should not expect any more support for Android until you switch to GMS 2.

Tales

I cant switch to GM2 because I cant buy it AGAIN....
Damn are you saying I cant developpe with GM1 because its deprecated???

Ok I think I understand I'd better to keep Android to avoid future problem.. I prefer keep it and loose space disk than try thing and loose a lot of time with try thing and learn thing only to gain space.. not a lot of time..
Thank You!

Tales

i knew there IS a gm2 but i dont know its no more possible to export, i still use gm1 export Android with no problem on my phone.
"Anyone pays attention.." blabla i hate stupid people arrogance, i dont pays attention about the thing you talk, for 100 useless informations there IS only one GM dev should put instead of stupid bugged news "GUYS GM1 EXPORT WILL DONT WORKS ANYMORE, BUY ANOTHER GM OR **" ..

Tales

I mean when i open gm1 there IS 2 error message probably because they dont Care about gm1 it was so simple to explain on news screen thing like "export will dont work anymore, you buy it but we drop it! Buy the 2 for 200€ muhahahaha(Machiavellian laugh in parentheses)"

Last edited:
S

spoonsinbunnies

Im simply confused on why you think buying an export for something 2 years ago makes it last forever? in tech years anything over 5 years is ancient? Most of the history of gamemaker having bought the previous version warranted you a free upgrade, although I feel like that was more for the transition period, not two years later, who knows maybe theres still an udate your license option, but complaining on the internet, probably wont help either way.

rIKmAN

I mean when i open gm1 there IS 2 error message probably because they dont Care about gm1
What version are you using?

The final version before sunset (1.4.9999) doesn't have any error messages on startup, only previous versions give an error before the various server checks and marketplace functionality were removed from the IDE in the final version to prevent the errors. Update and you won't get them.

If you are happy just exporting to your own phone then carry on using 1.4 until it doesn't work anymore, however if you want to put your games onto the Play Store then you will have to upgrade to GMS2 as like FrostyCat said 1.4 doesn't export 64bit binaries which are now a requirement by Google.

The only other option is to look around and try out the many other engines to see if they suit your needs and circumstances better, but only you can decide what is the best option for yourself.