• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows SDK issues

Hyomoto

I have installed Visual Studio 2015 Community, but when I go to compile my project it says configuration error: visual studio install not found. check your preferences. So I do, and I point it to my folder, which is the default folder, C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0, and click okay. Not change. Is there a sub folder I'm supposed to be pointing to, do I have the wrong version of Visual Studio or is there something else I'm missing?

edit: Ugh, I seriously need to stop doing this, this thread is supposed to be in the GM2 Beta forum. I'm going to try 2015 Express instead and see if that helps, but I wish it was more clear in the documentation if that's the case.

Last edited:
L

Lahssoo

You don't need Express too... If you check the helpdesk article you can see that it says NOT to use the default install but rather go for custom and make sure you select the components shown in the image. Also, the path is not to VS 2014, it is to "VisualStudio_2015". I have VS 2015 Community and it works fine... http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186048-Setting-Up-For-Windows
Well, VS 2014 doesn't exist, it's but Visual Studio 14 (version number) is Visual Studio 2015 (release year). But yeah, Microsoft's naming convention might not be the clearest.

Hyomoto

Well, I see the article now. I was going off of what I could find under the required SDK's section when you click help in GM2, and the section on compilers in the help file takes you to the page for GM:S SDK's. So long story short that article is easy to find if you know it's there, but the in-app links are misleading. It might be worthwhile to post a link on the Required SDK's on how to install it, especially since the default install doesn't work. Perhaps where it says 'Visual Studio 2015' you could click on that and it will take you to that article.