1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

script_execute wont work

Discussion in 'Programming' started by OliverSB, Nov 6, 2019.

1. OliverSB

OliverSB Member

Why might this be a problem. I have imported an extension and executing any of its scripts like ref_show_message, for example, will simply not work (in my project).

'ref_show_message("Test")'
    WORKS

'script_execute(ref_show_message, "Test"))'
    DOESN'T WORK

Once I delete all scripts and objects from my project (excluding this extension).

'ref_show_message("Test")'
    WORKS

'script_execute(ref_show_message, "Test"))'
    WORKS

2. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

You must use asset_get_index to get the index of the asset (in this case, script) for the execute command. In other words,
    Code:
    script_execute(asset_get_index("ref_show_message"), "Test");

3. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

That's just not true. If what you said is true, the following would have been mandatory too.
    Code:
    sprite_index = asset_get_index("spr_running");
    Code:
    room_goto(asset_get_index("rm_menu"));
    Code:
    audio_play_sound(asset_get_index("snd_bang"), 1, false);
    The most likely cause is improper index handling by the compiler, which has happened before in tickets like this and this. It should be reported as a bug with a full example.

4. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

@OliverSB could it be that the function is not an actual script resource? Some extensions don't use scripts to create their functions and instead use the extension editor, which might not be the same mechanism internally.

5. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

Ah, never reply to posts at 3AM right before going to sleep. I'm no sure what I was thinking.

6. OliverSB

OliverSB Member

FrostyCat's solution works perfect. Only problem now is that I am using an extension that uses the method that doesn't work instead of FrostyCat's method.