• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Script Editor keep scrolling

Is there a preference to keep scrolling even if you hit the last line number?

I usually put a lot of line breaks but that doesnt cut it for me..

1623097160502.png

Roldy

You want scrolling to add new lines for you?

I do not believe there is any such preference, mainly because such a preference would be yours alone.

You have a solution: Hold down enter key for a while to add more lines for what ever reason you have for doing so.

rIKmAN

You could add a load of newlines as a snippet and use a shortcut key when you want to add them at the bottom of the script.
However that "shortcut" is more convoluted than just hitting Enter a few times.

Roldy

Because I hate looking down on my screen I rather see code in the middle or on the upper part of the screen.

While I think that is a valid reason, I would suggest raising your monitor higher. Then you are never looking down.

EDIT: BTW this isn't a BS suggestion. I have done this myself for the same reason you state. My monitor was a little low and I hated looking down at things near the bottom. So I raised my screen and things are better.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

I can't see this being added - being able to scroll past the last line would break keyboard shortcuts like End and Page Down as they would now scroll into infinity.

Just press Enter a few times (or even better hold it down for 1-2secs) and give yourself the padding.
Do that at the start of a script and then start typing above it at the top where you prefer seeing the code.

EDIT:
You could also edit the default script/object content in Preferences to insert the whitespace by default, but you then may have to copy/paste or delete the default function that gets added (in the case of scripts) before starting coding at the top of the page - but at least the whitespace will have already been added.

Have a play with "Default script content" in File > Preferences > Script Editor and "Default Event Content" in File > Preferences > Object Editor
and see if if you find it better than just pressing enter a few times / holding it for a second or two.

Or as I said above, create a comment block of a size you find suitable for padding and save it as a snippet to use when you open a new script, then start coding above it.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I wouldn't say it's such an outlandish request to make. This feature already exists in other code editors (Sublime Text, to name one), so it's evidently not something only OP wants. The exact implementation there is that you can scroll until the last (actual) line of code is at the top of the screen, and no further. Page Down only scrolls until this point, too. Lines below the last line can't be selected, only scrolled past. End moves the cursor to the end of the currently selected line as per usual (not sure how this relates).

rIKmAN

I wouldn't say it's such an outlandish request to make. This feature already exists in other code editors (Sublime Text, to name one), so it's evidently not something only OP wants. The exact implementation there is that you can scroll until the last (actual) line of code is at the top of the screen, and no further. Page Down only scrolls until this point, too. Lines below the last line can't be selected, only scrolled past. End moves the cursor to the end of the currently selected line as per usual (not sure how this relates).
I never said it was outlandish either...
Scrolling until the last line of code was at the top of the editor window would work and solve OPs problem (though I'm not sure how much of a widespread problem it actually is?)
I've never used Sublime so am not familar with it's code editor.

Also yeah not sure why I wrote End either - I even use Home/End to go to the start/end of code/lines, brainfart I guess!

Either way my edit stands as two possible workarounds until they do/don't add it as the next update will be a little while away anyway.

Last edited:

This is exactly what I mean ;) being able to scroll until the last line is visible.