Game Mechanics Screen Shake conflicts with player ability

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Sanctifier, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Sanctifier

Sanctifier Member

Hi Everyone.

I'm making a top down shooter that's inspired by Crimsonland. Like Crimsonland, you can pick perks when you level up. However, unlike Crimsonland, my game has screenshake.

This brings me to a small issue I've encountered. I have a perk called 'Telekinetic', like the one in Crimsonland. The problem is that with some particularly beefy weapons it is very hard to mouse over the perks with screenshake rocking everything around.

So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a work around to this issue.

2. Phil Strahl

Phil Strahl Member

Have the mouse cursor in the game shake *with* the screen, so it's stable relative to the game?

3. NeoShade

NeoShade Member

Rather than shaking everything, just shake the things that are drawn in the draw events, but not things drawn in the draw_GUI events. This way, the buttons will remain in place.

Alternatively, make it so that screen shake doesn't affect the clickable position (mask) of the buttons, so that even if the button isn't technically being drawn where the player clicks, as long as they click where the button is supposed to be, it will still work.