• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Screen Resolution

O

Otyugra

For our game, Paper Soul Theater, we have not yet decided the basics for the screen resolution. I personally want to have the game be a default size that cannot be resized. The problem with that, is the possibility that some of the people would choose not to play the game because of these lacking features. After all, some people have much larger monitors than I do, so the game might feel tiny to them.

The main game is 3D and can tolerate resizing fine, but the battles are in 2D and 2D sprites don't respond well to stretching. I want our game to be fairly professional and I think curating an exact window size would keep the game looking nice. How concerned should I be about people who dislike it when pressing fullscreen only creates a black boarder around the game rather than resizing the game? Do you have any advice?

RangerX

In your case what I would suggest is that you make your game scale but always keeping your graphics intact. Basically only scaling up by integer values if the monitor is large enough.
That's what I all "pixel perfect scaling" for 2D games but in your case it also applies very well. You game will inevitably end up letterboxed in some monitors but trust me, that's MUICH MORE elegant and professional looking than a game with destroyed 2D in it or again a game that I play in a tiny square on my screen.

Also, if you need assistance pulling this off....
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-properly-scale-your-game.995/

:)