Screen Resolution Question

B

BlazingMuffinz

Hello everyone! I just have a quick question for anyone willing to answer. I am in the the process of creating my own game and I need to decide on a proper aspect ratio for the game. It is supposed to be a "modern SNES-era game" so I wanted to have the aspect ratio be 16:9 (my laptop is 1600x900) but I couldn't find a good resolution that fits all my 16x16 tiles. The best resolution I have is 384x216, but that means that half of a tile is left on the bottom, which is just aggravating to look it. Should I keep that size, switch to another, or change to 4:3 aspect ratio? Any help would be appreciated.

Look at the tiles here. The second row of ground tiles are only half on screen. This is normal. Most displays nowadays are 16:9 so you should really just go with that. Don't worry about your tiles not perfectly fitting the screen at all times.
The SNES resolution was 256x224 I believe, which is great but doesn't scale all that well on modern screens. You either have to stretch the image which looks bad with pixellated games, or deal with black bars(which is what I do mostly). I've seen some threads around suggesting some good small resolutions which fit nicely scaled up with some common modern resolutions. RangerX even has a nice tutorial for managing this.

Attachments

RangerX

480x270 would the closest thing to an old school resolution like SNES and Genesis. In those days it was mostly 256x224 but its because it was interlaced and also of 4:3 ratio.

E

ethanscott

Look at the tiles here. The second row of ground tiles are only half on screen. This is normal. Most displays nowadays are 16:9 so you should really just go with that. Don't worry about your tiles not perfectly fitting the screen at all times.
The SNES resolution was 256x224 I believe, which is great but doesn't scale all that well on modern screens. You either have to stretch the image which looks bad with pixellated games, or deal with black bars(which is what I do mostly). I've seen some threads around suggesting some good small resolutions which fit nicely scaled up with some common modern resolutions. RangerX even has a nice tutorial for managing this.
I agree, the blank tiles are not an issue, even huge games have it. You should stick to a standard aspect ratio in order to ensure that the game works perfectly on all platforms.

N

Nyarlathotep

Where in the settings do you set the new default aspect ratio?