• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Score on death

S

SuspecM

Edited thread!

My problem is that I need a system that does the following:
-functioning checkpoints, that either respawn you on the position of the latest activated checkpoint or simulate death (not actually killing the player, just relocating it)
-not reseting the score on death but still reseting it when exiting the game or booting up the game
-not respawning the score giving objects (in this case coins) upon death.

Just in case I edited the actual thread in hope that I better explains my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexx

Where are you setting the value of score to 0 initially? Is it in one of the player's events?

S

SuspecM

Where are you setting the value of score to 0 initially? Is it in one of the player's events?
I do it on the player as a place holder until I find a solution for it.
I tried doing it on the map too but as I mentioned, it gave a compiling error.

S

SuspecM

post your error message
I'm lazy to recreate the problem :p
but it literally said the "score" constant cannot be set to "global.score_stored", which I (tried to) use to store the score right before death.

S

SuspecM

Thats going to be a core problem.
I know, my laziness is one of my core weakness but if I wanted to ask for help with the error message I'd have asked for it, but I know why it pop up. I'm very grateful that you guys want to help me with that :)
I think I might've not explained my problem well enough.

The problem is that I can't really think of a system (be it simple or not so simple) that would achieve the following things:
-functioning checkpoints, that either respawn you on the position of the latest activated checkpoint or simulate death (not actually killing the player, just relocating it)
-not reseting the score on death but still reseting it when exiting the game or booting up the game

If you still didn't get my problem, then it means I'm even worse at explaining things than I thought :/

T

TDSrock

I know, my laziness is one of my core weakness but if I wanted to ask for help with the error message I'd have asked for it, but I know why it pop up. I'm very grateful that you guys want to help me with that :)
I think I might've not explained my problem well enough.

The problem is that I can't really think of a system (be it simple or not so simple) that would achieve the following things:

If you still didn't get my problem, then it means I'm even worse at explaining things than I thought :/
I've actually done all of these plus more in my prototype game. I've made the source code available in a .gmz. You can head to the forum post through the link in my signature.

S

SuspecM

I've actually done all of these plus more in my prototype game. I've made the source code available in a .gmz. You can head to the forum post through the link in my signature.
Yeah, I see you put a lot of work into the project, when I'll have more time I'll look more in depth to the code but as far as I got into the code I didn't really find anything score related, and when I tried to run the game I walked left and when I collided with the guy there it crashed.

T

TDSrock

Yeah, I see you put a lot of work into the project, when I'll have more time I'll look more in depth to the code but as far as I got into the code I didn't really find anything score related, and when I tried to run the game I walked left and when I collided with the guy there it crashed.
Looks like the version with the source code was actually the wrong one :p

I'll have it updated soon.

The scripts you'd want to look at (should) be there called: scr_CheckPoint_load and scr_Checkpoint_save();

EDIT: Updated the google drive to have the correct source file.

Last edited by a moderator: