Scaling, Resolution, and Aspect Ratio Management for GMS1 & GMS2

@Pineapple I don't really understand why you are drawing the app surface that way instead of just drawing it with a calculated scale, here's how I would do it:

console create:
Code:
ideal_width = 320;
ideal_height = 180;

application_surface_draw_enable(false);
window_set_size(1200,300); //or whatever
display_set_gui_size(ideal_width,ideal_height);
console step
Code:
scale = floor(min(window_get_width()/ideal_width,window_get_height()/ideal_height))
console post-draw
Code:
var _xoff = window_get_width()/2 - (ideal_width*scale/2);
var _yoff = window_get_height()/2 - (ideal_height*scale/2);

draw_surface_ext(application_surface,_xoff,_yoff,scale,scale,0,c_white,1);

as for the mouse position detection thing, that's a bit of a pain. But it is possible to convert the window mouse coordinates to be relative to the room. Keep in mind, however, that this code does not take into account a moving camera. And if you start using the GUI layer for your UI, well things will just get even more complicated.

console begin step
Code:
var _win_w = window_get_width();
var _win_h = window_get_height();
var _ideal_w = console.ideal_width;
var _ideal_h = console.ideal_height;
var _game_w = _ideal_w*scale;
var _game_h = _ideal_h*scale;

var _xmarg = (_game_w-_win_w)/(scale*2);
var _ymarg = (_game_h-_win_h)/(scale*2);

global.mx = lerp(_xmarg,_ideal_w-_xmarg,window_mouse_get_x()/_win_w);
global.my = lerp(_ymarg,_ideal_h-_ymarg,window_mouse_get_y()/_win_h);
global.mx and global.my are your new "mouse_x" and "mouse_y" Which means you can no longer use the built in mouse events. So I added this step event to obj_square
Code:
if(point_in_rectangle(global.mx,global.my,bbox_left,bbox_top,bbox_right,bbox_bottom))
    image_blend=c_black;
else
    image_blend=c_white;
And the result:
https://gyazo.com/9bce9fa5ce2cdf4f4696f5b9581fe148
Thanks for your reply.

I'm drawing the app surface this way because I want the sprite and particle effects to be applied on the full canvas and not on the 320x180 canvas, it looks a lot better on a bigger canvas.

Thanks for the solution! I'm sad there's not an easier solution, I guess I need to change all mouse events for my >50 objects if I want to implement this feature.

I'm just very surprised that there is no function to change the position or aspect of the application surface; you can change the place where it's drawn, but it's not actually there. If this was possible we didn't need this workaround. Maybe I'll one day send yoyo a feature request.

Last edited: