• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Saving screenshot to a sprite without application Surface

M

Moar.Of.Me

Hi!

I'm working on a mobile game with giant room sizes and lots of objects. Application surface is disabled. I need to take a screenshot of the game screen. Right now taking a screenshot of a whole room takes a lot of time, resources and has issues:

- Creating a big surface and drawing all objects to it and then downsizing it to display size takes down FPS a lot
- Creating a scree-sized surface and then drawing all the objects scaled takes away the quality

Both of these ways take a lot of time for all the objects to draw themselves.

Saving screenshot using screen_save() and then reading the file to a sprite takes too much time.

Is there a way to save a screenshot to a sprite without using application surface?

And is there a way to look into screen_save() function to scrap a screen capturing part of it?

obscene

When you say too much time, do you mean there is a momentary freeze of maybe a half-second or so? If so, that's pretty normal. A direct save from the application surface, which is the fastest way to do it, causes a short pause as well.

RangerX

In my game I have an option to play without the application surface.
However, I need to take a picture of the screen for when the pause menu opens. So what I do is pretty simple:

- turn on the app surf
- take the screen pic
- turn off the app surf

You should try this very simple of solution I guess

M

Moar.Of.Me

When you say too much time, do you mean there is a momentary freeze of maybe a half-second or so? If so, that's pretty normal. A direct save from the application surface, which is the fastest way to do it, causes a short pause as well.
I don't need to save a picture. I need a sprite with a screenshot and skip the saving the file part.

- turn on the app surf
- take the screen pic
- turn off the app surf
Yes, this looks like a best solution so far. Thank you )